My First Eggfest Was A Blast

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
DSC00558a.jpg

It was called the Wild West Eggfest and was held at my BGE dealers lot. It had sort of had a block party atmosphere, and with the help from name tags the 20 or 30 cooks knew each other on a first name basis. Around a dozen brand new Eggs were fired up at 9AM yesterday and both cooks and guests munched on food until about 4PM. Because of the short time, most things were grilled, but there were a couple of roasted turkeys, and plenty of baked pizzas, both traditional and ones with flour tortilla crusts. Several pans of bruschetta and a couple of cobblers were also served​

Eggfests are not a competition, they're all about meeting new folks that also cook on Eggs, serving samples to the crowd, trying new things and old favorites, and showing off. On site, my 4 man team used 2 Eggs and cooked fatties, flat irons, pizzas, planked salmon, pineapple and bananas with carmel sauce. Because there is no time for real barbecue, I smoked 2 butts all night, coolering them at 7AM for the short drive across town. I wanted to show off the other side of an Egg, namely low-n-slo smoking. We pulled it on site to the amazement of onlookers.....then made sliders, sampler trays of just pulled pork and used some on one of the pizzas.​

All the food I tried was great, some racks of grilled lamb being my favorite. Naturally I had time for some photos :roll: I'll share here.​

DSC00539a-1.jpg

DSC00569a.jpg

DSC00562a.jpg

DSC00575a.jpg

DSC00571a.jpg

DSC00566a.jpg

DSC00565a.jpg

DSC00559a.jpg

DSC00557a.jpg

DSC00556a.jpg

DSC00552a.jpg

DSC00549a.jpg

DSC00546a.jpg

DSC00577a.jpg

DSC00543a.jpg

DSC00541a.jpg

DSC00540a.jpg

Looks like you had a great time Wayne. I need to make it to either a TX or OK Eggfest.

Yeah, but did they have any food there???

J/K, It looks like there was a good time to be had by all. Thx for the pix!

I vote for that pork chop!!!!

Guess im getting to "green" all i could think of was the plastic that was gonna be tossed......

I vote for that pork chop!!!!

Guess im getting to "green" all i could think of was the plastic that was gonna be tossed......

Dude, that was a rack-o-lamb chop :thumb:. Cut from those bone-in loins in the pit shot. This was domestic lamb. The picture of the tray of smaller chops are ones from New Zealand, also good..... just not as good.

I suspect the domestic loins were from yearlings due to the diameter of the loin, but it was as tender and flavorful as any I have ever had. The marinade had Greek roots and had more liquid in the bags than the basic olive oil, garlic, herb and lemon juice marinade. It was a family secret, so no details were given. The full loins were cooked until about 2/3 done, then sliced and dipped in reserved liquid, then put back on to finish.

I would have loved the recipe, but it will be fun researching Greek cooking to discover a similar (or maybe better) one. I'm wondering if this was one of the 3-day marinades commonly used around Easter.

Man, that looks like a blast, I'd love to do something like that. Maybe they could have a "ghetto" section for WSMs and UDSs. :-D
All the food looks fan-farken-tastic, wish I could have been there!

Man, that looks like a blast, I'd love to do something like that. Maybe they could have a "ghetto" section for WSMs and UDSs. :-D
All the food looks fan-farken-tastic, wish I could have been there!

No, that's the whole deal. The sign up is free for cooks. They let you cook on brand NEW Eggs, and they furnish the charcoal. They have the EZ Up's all ready and set up one 8' table for each team. Plus the cooks get a promo package with shirts, coolies, rub samples, etc.

We brought 4 chairs, a taller prep table, coolers with meats and beer and a box of utensils. The teams do have to buy all the food they want to cook, but it's not like you are running a drive-up window or something, plus you get to sample other teams food too.

Great photos Wayne! That looks like a TON of fun and some fantastic food.

a master like you just attended his first eggfest!?!?!?

seriously, awesome!!!!!!!

i'm drooling over your food.

Looks like a great time, Wayne! We had some very good food at the local eggfest last fall.

Looks like you had a good time! I have only been to 2 Eggfests and only one was an official one. It is a lot of fun and you do get to meet some cool people.

Back