Confused - Poobah Prime Rib

Blutch

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
ok.. first time doing a rib roast. My has the bones on it and is about 5lbs. Small roast.

I have read all the threads on this recipe and printed it out. I'm really confused...

first there is ingredients section.. seems that you end up with a paste-like marinade that you poor over the roast and let sit for 10 mins.

Then you rub with sugar and MSS and let sit for a short bit?

So, the marinade goes on, sits for 10 then the rub right on the marinade? Are there two steps to preparing this? just want to be sure.

also, I don't have a kettle yet. I got rid of my big offset and now have a GOSM gasser (double smoked ham is in there now) and a UDS. I hate to fire up this UDS just for a tiny rib roast.. and I need to get it over coals. I'm considering doing the initial cook in the gasser and modifying the UDS to be a grill with the charcoal basked on the lower rack and the meat directly above it for the final step. Will that work? How much time on this small roast would you recommend?

Thanks!

B

I think its, mix your marinade, let the marinade set for 10, then pour onto your roast. Let it marinade for 30-60 minutes. Then put your sugar and rub on. Make sure the dehydrated ingredients and sugars in the rub hydrate and/or dissolve again before you toss it in the pit.

Does that help? Of course, I've never done this before.

I think its, mix your marinade, let the marinade set for 10, then pour onto your roast. Let it marinade for 30-60 minutes. Then put your sugar and rub on. Make sure the dehydrated ingredients and sugars in the rub hydrate and/or dissolve again before you toss it in the pit.

Does that help? Of course, I've never done this before.

This is exactly what I did and it turned out great!!

Yeah.. got it all marinated and rubbed. going to put it on in about 20. I guess I'll do the initial cook in the GOSM gasser and then finish it over coals. Wish I had a weber.

MA

Yeah.. got it all marinated and rubbed. going to put it on in about 20. I guess I'll do the initial cook in the GOSM gasser and then finish it over coals. Wish I had a weber.

MA

If you were closer Brother, I'd loan you mine.

Thanks Chief... appreciate the sentiment.

I went to buy one yesterday.. wanted one assembled. Ace Hardware had one, but it was damaged.. lip of the lid was bent a bit and there were a couple other dings in it. asked the manager if he'd give me a deal on the display. he said no, but he had brand new ones he'd sell me. I told him I wanted one assembled and he said he could have one put together by Thursday.

I said - why not just sell me this one for 10-15 bucks left. He says, then I just have to assemble a new one and put it out here and have it get damaged. go figure.

I'll make do. About to put it on the gasser with pecan. Will finish with coals.. should be fine I think. I did the marinade and rub right.

How long for a 5lb - bone in roast at about 300?

B

Thanks Chief... appreciate the sentiment.

I went to buy one yesterday.. wanted one assembled. Ace Hardware had one, but it was damaged.. lip of the lid was bent a bit and there were a couple other dings in it. asked the manager if he'd give me a deal on the display. he said no, but he had brand new ones he'd sell me. I told him I wanted one assembled and he said he could have one put together by Thursday.

I said - why not just sell me this one for 10-15 bucks left. He says, then I just have to assemble a new one and put it out here and have it get damaged. go figure.

I'll make do. About to put it on the gasser with pecan. Will finish with coals.. should be fine I think. I did the marinade and rub right.

How long for a 5lb - bone in roast at about 300?

B

I'm sure it will be great! Keep us updated.

At 270 my 8 lb'er took ~ 2 1/2 hours and with the rest came right at 3 hours..

I had done a couple Rib Roasts in the GOSM, did one that was from Smoke and Spice that was marinated in Red wine and Red wine vinegar and Rosemary that turned out great but was not thrilled with the marinade, the other was simple, salt, pepper and garlic cloves poked in the roast and liked it too. Just keep an eye on the internal temps and pull to you liking. If your going to do it on the UDS do it the way thirdeye suggests.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=521699&postcount=10

I'm hoping I can find another cheap one for the UDS cook!

Well, it turned out well. Quite good I think. I had to substitute brown sugar for Turbinado at the last minute. My wife did the shopping and neglected to tell me she couldn't get Turbinado or Sugar In The Raw.

So, I'm not sure if I got it right. We also did a Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham with the Kiss of Death injection - of course, I didn't see the warning about the orange extract until after I had injected it. Couldn't really taset any of the other stuff.

Both meats were really too sweet for me. Took away greatly from the savory tastes I'm used to with smoked meat. I didn't taste much smoke in either. The others liked it a lot, I am lukewarm. The next rib roast I do will not have sugar on it.

Notice the expectant labs in the background. This meat is much redder than it appears in this photo.

Thanks to all for all the help -

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• primerib.jpg
    primerib.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 65
Back