MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Riblets

I was considering some barbecue appetizers for Christmas Eve and had the idea to make little bite sized ribs.

In theory, I was going to have my "butcher" cut a couple racks of ribs down the middle to create four mini racks. Then I was going to cook em as usually.

Anyone ever seen racks split lengthwise? Any reason these shouldn't become tasty riblets?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye
I was considering some barbecue appetizers for Christmas Eve and had the idea to make little bite sized ribs.

In theory, I was going to have my "butcher" cut a couple racks of ribs down the middle to create four mini racks. Then I was going to cook em as usually.

Anyone ever seen racks split lengthwise? Any reason these shouldn't become tasty riblets?
The same thing can be done with a RotoZip saw for those that have one. We use this method to cut the ribs on our whole hogs to get the spares and baby backs.

Clint, I'd watch 'em so they don't dry out. They are going to cook a lot faster than normal, too. Definately wrap them so that they don't dry out and become Rocklets instead of Riblets. Take pics. Cool idea.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
The same thing can be done with a RotoZip saw for those that have one. We use this method to cut the ribs on our whole hogs to get the spares and baby backs.

Clint, I'd watch 'em so they don't dry out. They are going to cook a lot faster than normal, too. Definately wrap them so that they don't dry out and become Rocklets instead of Riblets. Take pics. Cool idea.
RotoZip....Man, I always knew you were higher tech than I am. They are a pain to split with a meat saw. A sabre saw with a fine tooth blade works and I poke the blade through a paper plate first to shield the Black & Decker from splatter, but the cut is hard to see.

Is the RotoZip a one man job? Do you hold them vertical or just off the end of a cutting board?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
RotoZip....Man, I always knew you were higher tech than I am.

Is the RotoZip a one man job? Do you hold them vertical or just off the end of a cutting board?
Shop Vise

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

Yeah, I was guesstimating about a 3 hour cook at 225* (half the rib size equals half the normal cook time?), an hour of which would be wrapped with some liquid to really tenderize them. We'll see.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye
Yeah, I was guesstimating about a 3 hour cook at 225* (half the rib size equals half the normal cook time?), an hour of which would be wrapped with some liquid to really tenderize them. We'll see.
That sounds about right, but they might even go less than 3 hours. Keep spraying with apple juice while unwrapped.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I used a sawzall before to get ribs out of a deer. Worked pretty good.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Shop Vise
Any hobby that can incorperate your shop tools is a fine hobby indeed!!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Plowboy

Table saw anyone?

Old 12-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

how bout cooking the left over trimmings of spare ribs? ive got a bag full off of three racks, im cookin brisket and slovecks jap sausage and some fatties. so i thought about puttin em on. should i put em in a pan with some sauce or apple juice or beer? and cook that way so they dont dry out? i trimmed the spare st louis style so i got a gallon bag full of riblets.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote