MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
smokywinslow
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the help guys. That helps alot. Didnt even think to bring the temp up to 325 or so before puttin the meat on. Ive got em seasoned and wrapped in the fridge since last night. I think im gonna keep em wrapped and see how they fit like that on the uds and go from there. I dont need the meat until friday. So, if i cant fit em all on there at once ill just smoke 2 tonight and 2 tomorrow. Good thing i like to drink beer and hang out by the smoker!! Anyways, i have been taking pics of the prep and plan on posting the full results on here for all to enjoy.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

My suggestion is to add 2 hours to whatever you estimate your cook time to be. This gives you insurance time against sudden weather changes, longer than average stalls, etc. When the butts are done, double wrap on foil, place in a dry cooler & cover with towels, newspapers, etc. If they get done early, no problem. I have held butts 5+ hours in a cooler & they were still too hot to handle with bare hands. They extra rest actually helps the meat reabsorb juices.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I've done 15 pounds (2 butts) on one of my two racks, I could do 30-35 on one, and possibly double on the second.

PICS PICS PICS!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
smokywinslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by olewarthog View Post
My suggestion is to add 2 hours to whatever you estimate your cook time to be. This gives you insurance time against sudden weather changes, longer than average stalls, etc. When the butts are done, double wrap on foil, place in a dry cooler & cover with towels, newspapers, etc. If they get done early, no problem. I have held butts 5+ hours in a cooler & they were still too hot to handle with bare hands. They extra rest actually helps the meat reabsorb juices.
Ya, about the weather. I live in the good ol state of iowa. its been about 100 during the day and close to 80 at night, with absolutely no rain in the future. Its been brutal lately. But, nothing cold beers cant fix! And yes, i plan on giving my self a few hours of play just to be sure they're done. Keep the feedback coming!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Had 8 8-10 pounders on my 2 rack UDS, worked well, may need to rotate between racks. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
smokywinslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
Had 8 8-10 pounders on my 2 rack UDS, worked well, may need to rotate between racks. Good luck.
Nice to see another Iowegian!

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
smokywinslow

Another question.....If i end up smoking 2 tonight and 2 tomorrow night. what is the best method of storing the meat untill Friday. Obviously i would then have 2 fresh off the smoker, and 2 from the previous night. should i pull, then package and put in fridge? Leave it whole? What would the best way be?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Since it already seems to be settled I thought I would chime in...

Get a Lang...While your out Get 3 more Butts...2 chickens and some ribs...Smoke On...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokywinslow View Post
Another question.....If i end up smoking 2 tonight and 2 tomorrow night. what is the best method of storing the meat untill Friday. Obviously i would then have 2 fresh off the smoker, and 2 from the previous night. should i pull, then package and put in fridge? Leave it whole? What would the best way be?
Pull and package would be what I would do...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote