Kamado Cast Iron Apple Pie

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With Granny Smith apples on sale and seeing some recent Apple Pie cooks, I decided to give a pie a whirl. Reviewed John Setzler's video and some others. Then reviewed our go to recipe and made a few tweaks and came up with this below.
I took 6 Granny Smith’s and 4 Fuji’s. Peeled them, sliced them thin and placed in a large bowl.

Here are the ingredients:

Juice from 1/2 lemon (squeeze over apple slices)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground clove
2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. butter
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Now pour over apple slices, stir and set aside.

Now spread out your pie dough in a greased C.I. pie pan and poke a few fork holes in the bottom.

And fill with the apple filling.

Cover with the other half of the dough. Crimp the edges and cut some holes in the top crust. Now brush with some milk and then sprinkle with some sugar.

I had lit my kamado and set it up for indirect cooking. I let it preheat to 372 and then placed the pie in the center for approximately 1 hour.

And here it is all done and browned up.

And plated with some vanilla ice cream.

:becky:

This had a bit of a smokey taste to it. For meat that's fine but both my wife and I agreed it would've been better if it wasn't there for this pie. It was still tasty but next time I'm going to make sure all the smoke is out of the lump before I put the pie in.

Im totally not into sweets or pies (with the exception of pumpkin pie:grin:) but that looks amazingly good.

might be the munchies but dang that looks good enough to eat. I can see doing one in my near future.

Since it got some smoke flaver... Would a chunk of cheddar been better then the ice cream?? Looks farkin great either way

Derhusker
What lump was you using in your Kamado? I have made about 3 apple pies in September on my Kamado. Using Royal Oak they seem to have less of a smoke taste than frontier.
Thinking peach is the going to be the pie this week.

Awesome looking pie!!!

My family felt the same way about the apple pie, a little smoke goes a long way. Though they loved the smoke in the chicken pot pie on the grill.

Back