MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Their shipping rates are fantastic last time I asked (About 100 dollars to my door in Memphis for the Cheyenne). Been a year or so ago though.
Wow that is cheap for the size of it, I got a quote but it was about 3 times that.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #32
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing productive to add except my thanks to opening my eyes to Yoder smokers! I think a trailer smoker is my next step and their Santa Fe looks about perfect

Although that Kingman Comp Cart looks killer as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

If you have questions on their pits talk to Josh at All Things BBQ, he has been great to answer all of my questions and goes the extra mile to get your question answered.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
battlesnail
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcary View Post
The adjustable damper on the Wichita is going to be extra (though not by a lot, I can PM you a price if you'd like). The big advantage is the ability to adjust the temp to be even across the pit, or hot at one end or the other. It's just very versatile.

The Wichita I cook on (Serial #1) does not have the HMS or damper. Though it cooks great, if I want to do larger cooks with a loaded pit, I roll out a Kingman with all of the options. It's just so much easier to be precise and control the heat with the HMS and damper.
Sorry to thread resurrect but I'm stuck between choosing a Lang and Yoder. A farm store not too far from home has a shipment of Yoder Loaded Wichitas coming in next week so I'm going to go kick the tires a bit. I was sold on a Lang before I started looking into the Yoders. I liked the reverse flow concept on the Langs but was wondering about the heat management system (HMS) on the Yoders. I see a heat management plate on their website but no mention of a heat management system. What's the difference?

This store is selling the Yoders a couple hundred over base Loaded Wickita MSRP so I'm kind of assuming (hoping) they have all the extras (log lighter, probe ports, charcoal grate etc).

In any event, does the heat management plate even out temps as well as a reverse flow design like on the Langs?

I won't be able to actually see a Lang in person before buying which makes me nervous especially given the quality issues I've seen in this thread from another forum: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...uality-welding

The issues there are simply unacceptable to me so I'd hope that's either a one-off problem Lang had or maybe they had a period of iffy QC that's since been fixed.

I understand the Yoders have superb welds so the whole decision really hinges on whether or not Yoder's heat plate is as effective as reverse flow, and if I can find out what the Heat Management System with adjustable dampers is since I can't find any mention of it on the website.

Thanks,

Jim
battlesnail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #35
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlesnail View Post
Sorry to thread resurrect but I'm stuck between choosing a Lang and Yoder. A farm store not too far from home has a shipment of Yoder Loaded Wichitas coming in next week so I'm going to go kick the tires a bit. I was sold on a Lang before I started looking into the Yoders. I liked the reverse flow concept on the Langs but was wondering about the heat management system (HMS) on the Yoders. I see a heat management plate on their website but no mention of a heat management system. What's the difference?

This store is selling the Yoders a couple hundred over base Loaded Wickita MSRP so I'm kind of assuming (hoping) they have all the extras (log lighter, probe ports, charcoal grate etc).

In any event, does the heat management plate even out temps as well as a reverse flow design like on the Langs?

I won't be able to actually see a Lang in person before buying which makes me nervous especially given the quality issues I've seen in this thread from another forum: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...uality-welding

The issues there are simply unacceptable to me so I'd hope that's either a one-off problem Lang had or maybe they had a period of iffy QC that's since been fixed.

I understand the Yoders have superb welds so the whole decision really hinges on whether or not Yoder's heat plate is as effective as reverse flow, and if I can find out what the Heat Management System with adjustable dampers is since I can't find any mention of it on the website.

Thanks,

Jim
call Yoder and ask them what the heat management system is. My bet its just a fancy name for the plates
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

HMS is just a plate system. All the Yoders Ive seen have been incredible.

FYI, Jambos are pretty much the furthest thing from reverse flow. They seem to be pretty propular
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #37
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Yoder frontiersman with the hms plate system. I can dial temps to create zones which I prefer or have it cook even straight across which is nice for catering. You will not be disappointed in the quality of the build.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote