Chuckie question, potential first chuckie cook!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so I've done a search on "Chuck Roast" and I've gotten threads from the 'pot roast' style chuck roast (looks like a big fat steak) and also seen something called a chuck roll.

I'm interested in trying to smoke a "chuckie" this weekend, but I'm just not sure what to buy now.

As long as it's from the "chuck" portion of the cow, is it a "chuck roast"? Is the big steak looking thing just a CUT off of a whole chuck?

I've done chuck eye roast indirect as sort of a "steak" before. Is this the same thing?

I've seen pron posted of chuckies and have seen many different looking things.

SO???
School me. What should I be looking for?
Also....the cook.....I'm assuming 225-250 until the roast reaches, what....165 and pulls easily?

Thanks in advance.

My chucks are 6-7lbs. I pull my chuck when tender ususlly around 200. I cook @ 225. Check out thirdeyes recipe section- gives great instruction

Chuckies are not just any piece of meat from the Chuck primal. They are specifically from the Chuck Roll (or an entire chuck roll). Those smaller chuck roasts that look like steaks are cut off of the chuck roll. You will not see a chuck roll on display for sale as they are very, very big, as in 30 pounds or so (think about how big that is for a minute). I look for chuck roasts that are 7 or more pounds. If you shop at Sam's, you can buy chuck rolls by asking for chuck roast by the case. They cut the chuck roasts off of these chuck rolls and put them out for sale, which is why you never see chuck roasts in cryo at Sam's, because the packers pack the roll in cryo, and it's jsut larger than anything you see for sale anywhere typically.

Chuckies are not just any piece of meat from the Chuck primal. They are specifically from the Chuck Roll (or an entire chuck roll). Those smaller chuck roasts that look like steaks are cut off of the chuck roll. You will not see a chuck roll on display for sale as they are very, very big, as in 30 pounds or so (think about how big that is for a minute). I look for chuck roasts that are 7 or more pounds. If you shop at Sam's, you can buy chuck rolls by asking for chuck roast by the case. They cut the chuck roasts off of these chuck rolls and put them out for sale, which is why you never see chuck roasts in cryo at Sam's, because the packers pack the roll in cryo, and it's jsut larger than anything you see for sale anywhere typically.

OK, so if I buy anything that's marked "CHUCK" then I'll be OK? I mean, chuck eye, chuck roast, eye of chuck, etc. These are all cut off of the larger cut that is the chuck roll?

I've not done a LOT of looking, but I think all I typically have seen are a 3 or 4 lb roast. If I want a 7 or 8 pounder do I have to ask for that? I'll just have to look today after work I suppose.

Still....either way....cook pretty much like a pork butt?

Chuckie's are probably one of my favorite things to make. I would say get a bigger roast. I like 4-5lbers and treat it like a brisket. I've done small ones and they always come out kind of dry. I rub it and smoke it indirect to 160 then foil till it probes "like buttah" at 190-200ish. I like it for tacos and pulled beef sandwiches. It's awesome!

^^^ Wampus, did I get you started on this adventure? What they said above. I
have a tough time finding them over 7lbs; they're usually just over 5lbs. I'll get them
(almost always say Chuck Roast) as large as I can, inject with butchers (my absolute
favorite), hit them with a nice rub (I'll use Plowboy's tonight), smoke at 250 for about
3 hours, foil and pour drippings over it before closing up, back on 250 for another
2 hours+- depending on how thick they are/were. Pull them at 195-202 if you can.
They are every bit as good as pulled pork, and some think better.

Last edited:
^^^ Wampus, did I get you started on this adventure?

Welllll.....I've been thinking of doing one for some time, but I'd say you had a lot to do with "nudging" me with your post in my "favorite BBQ" thread. I've not had any time in my life since New Years to roll out a smoker and I just HAVE to this weekend.

I've not done pulled pork in some time either, so it's a toss up. I'm just not sure what to get.

BTW....that Gus McCrea quote in your signature is SWEEET!! My all time favorite Gus line is, "I'm not one to give up on a garment just because it's got a little age."

I have done a couple Chuck Rolls and they are terrific. I have found the entire roll at Smart n Final. If you have one near you check it out. The Rolls are huge so if you ever do one I suggest cutting it in half. This way you will have more area exposed for bark. If doing roasts then as mentioned above I suggest foiling at the 160-165 point as they have a tendency to dry out. This will also help in softening the bark which can get pretty hard on the smaller roast.

Welllll.....I've been thinking of doing one for some time, but I'd say you had a lot to do with "nudging" me with your post in my "favorite BBQ" thread. I've not had any time in my life since New Years to roll out a smoker and I just HAVE to this weekend.

I've not done pulled pork in some time either, so it's a toss up. I'm just not sure what to get.

BTW....that Gus McCrea quote in your signature is SWEEET!! My all time favorite Gus line is, "I'm not one to give up on a garment just because it's got a little age."

I LOVE that quote too; probably my next favorite. That movie had
a lot of great one liners, most of them Gus'.

The chuckies have made their way into our BBQing for the sake of
time. I'll tend to cook pork butts or shoulders around 10 hours, give
or take, but the chucks, being a smaller cut, I get done in about 1/2
the time, 1/2 the fuel, etc. More expensive, but worth it. I'll always
make twice what I really need (whether pork or beef) and freeze the
leftovers for brunswick stew. MMMmmmmmmmmmm......

Still have not had good luck with chuckies. I've done them a couple times and come 7:30PM everyone is starving and the thing still isn't tender enough to be pulled, so I yank it off the smoker and end up just chopping it. I guess I just need to start earlier.

I have done them in the dutch oven, also done them under ground now that some good stuff

The rub I use for chuckies is:
3 TBS PAPRIKA
2 TBS KOSHER SALT
1 TBS SEASONED SALT
2 TBS BLACK PEPPER
1 TBS CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TBS GARLIC POWDER
1 TBS ONION POWDER

Smoke with your favorite wood until an internal temp of about 160-165, then place in a disposable aluminum pan, add some liquid like beer or stock, cover with plastic wrap (yes plastic wrap), then foil and continue cooking until an internal temp of 195-200. Should fall apart with no problem.

cover with plastic wrap (yes plastic wrap), then foil and continue cooking until an internal temp of 195-200. Should fall apart with no problem.

Thanks JONESY.

I'll ask the obvious question......won't the plastic wrap melt at a cooker temp of 225-250? And, why is this necessary?

Just askin'

Plastic wrap covered tightly with foil will not melt until somewhere above 450. I use it this way all the time to help keep moisture in. Its an old restaurant trick I learned years ago. Try it.

I certainly will! Thanks for the tip!:thumb:
I assume this would also work well for butts?

I love Chuckies

Chuckies are great I think they have more flavor then brisket
but that's just me. I agree foil 160 to 165. then be patient. I have
had Chuckies hang at 180 for hours..I cook them at 225 - 235.
I take mine to 200 - 205.. But its more of a feel then a temp. you
will know when its done. feels like butta :-D
I have bought a whole chuck rolls from restaurant
depot. I think it was 35lbs I cut it into 5 - 6 lb roasts.. I do want to try and
smoke a whole one sometime. My reason for cutting up was to get more bark
and more smoke ring.. I have cooked them at a few contests for us to eat
and to share.. they are never done when I planned.. But they are always
worth the wait. I love to make Chucko's Chuckie tacos.. :p
have fun even the mistakes will taste great.. :icon_blush:

You know Wampus its funny, I never wrap my butts before they are done cooking. I do however wrap them in plastic wrap, foil, a beach towel and straight into a cooler to rest for at least an hour. Its amazing, in my opinion, what that time slowly cooling does for the texture and tenderness of the meat, I bet you could do it with your chuckies…..

I like chucks and also look for 6 to 7 pound chuck slices. From time to time, I find the end of the chuck, head of the chuck I guess, and it is the best. Big odd shaped round thing, it can take almost as long as a brisket when it gets thick.

I tend not to wrap, have not had a problem with drying if the meat is good quality. I would use heavy duty plastic wrap, like food service or the thicker Saran Wrap products for use in cooking. The thinner stuff can melt.

Back