MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Barnard4
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default brisket cuts ?s

I have only done one brisket and am trying to figure out what I should get next time. So I see option like:packer, flat, whole, choice, select, prime. What is the best choice.
Barnard4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Packers are the best IMHO. Some people like doing flats. A packer gives you two pieces of meat, two different muscles. One is the flat and is what people typically associate with sliced brisket. The other muscle is called the point and is fattier and gets done sooner than the flat making it very tender. This makes it very well suited for chopped brisket, or for making burnt ends.

Select, Choice and Prime as USDA grades of beef. More info here...
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...able/index.asp

The whole cow is graded, not each cut. The grading is made from an area in the ribeye. Based on fat content and how well marbled (or how evenly distributed with the meat) it is, the cow gets assigned a grade. So a brisket from a cow graded Prime is a Prime brisket. Choice is pretty dang good, and I haven't seen Prime's all that worth the added cost, save for maybe Wagyu which is a whole different story and frankly doesn't even taste like brisket IMO.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I only do packers. That is a cryo'ed full brisket that can weigh from 10-17lbs. As Chris mentioned above, it tends to be moister than your brisket flat. I believe when it comes to briskets, bigger is better because you get a thicker flat, which is the part most likely to dry out.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

+2 on the packer, doing just a flat is like a ying without a yang in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

does anyone separate the point from the flat prior to cooking?
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Another one for doing a whole packer. I agree with Marty that in briskets, bigger is better. I usually try to find a choice packer that weighs around 15 Lbs.. I always cook whole and don't separate until the flat is done. When the flat is done, I separate it and the point, and wrap the flat in foil and put it in the cooler. I then cube the point and put it in a foil pan and smoke for another 2 hours with a little sauce and a little more rub. I like to smoke a whole packer and not separate because I believe the fatty point helps keep the flat moist and adds some flavor to it. Others may have different opinions.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

I only cook packers...of course it is mainly so I have the point for burnt ends and the extra moisture doesn't hurt either.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
chad

I'm a packer fan, too. I buy what's available so sometimes select, sometimes choice, sometimes Angus, etc. It's brisket and I'm not cooking for comp. A good find locally is Angus Choice. If I can't, for some reason, find a packer brisket I'll find the biggest flat and just pay more attention as I cook it.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Mostly flats for me. I don't like buying fat to throw away. Just me. Did two 8# flats yesterday in six hours. Main reason is time. Whatever works for you is what's best imo. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnard4 View Post
I have only done one brisket and am trying to figure out what I should get next time. So I see option like:packer, flat, whole, choice, select, prime. What is the best choice.
I like the packers (which is a whole brisket, with only the deckle removed, and will be sold in a sealed cryovac bag), and I prefer choice or higher.

If I do want to cook a flat, I'll still buy a whole one but I'll freeze the point, save up 2 or 3 and cook them all at the same time. The only thing I do non-typical is to make a straight cut when removing the point, instead of following the natural seam between the two muscles.

Here is a brisket chart I put together with some photo's, terms, and brisket lore regarding the left side brisket....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I like the packers (which is a whole brisket, with only the deckle removed, and will be sold in a sealed cryovac bag), and I prefer choice or higher.

If I do want to cook a flat, I'll still buy a whole one but I'll freeze the point, save up 2 or 3 and cook them all at the same time. The only thing I do non-typical is to make a straight cut when removing the point, instead of following the natural seam between the two muscles.

Here is a brisket chart I put together with some photo's, terms, and brisket lore regarding the left side brisket....

Nice writeup... very helpful. Now I have to tell my butcher I only want LH briskets

Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Warthog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

I only do packers. Get mine at RD.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
: thumb:

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
landarc

I do packers, I think JD McGee separates point from flat sometimes. I tend to cook them all at once. Actually, I prefer the point sliced to the flat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote