Cooked Some Quick Burgers and Dogs:
IMG_2799-768x1024.jpg

The BP makes such the perfect grill in so many ways. It's a heater, food warmer, wind don't affect the coals or food. More coals it sears, less it grills...the coals last longer, it burns clean/efficient. I can't say enough good things about how this drum works. Nothing against all the beautiful UDS's out there but i'm glad i did the BPS for it's functionality.

Hello everyone! Decided to go with the BPS kit. Finally put together the kit after I found a SS Drum on Craigslist.

On my first cook my temps spiked to about 330, and then settled in around 275 with a sliver of 1 intake open. I think I started it too fast and it ran away on me. I started wide open, then closed down to 2 on each side open at 200. Before I knew it it was at 300. Next time I'll probably close all but 1 of them down at around 200 to see how that goes.

Going to use the upper position to grill some steaks tonight!

Thanks to everyone that has contributed. This thread is awesome!

IMG_20140531_111843150.jpg

IMG_20140601_111301596.jpg

IMG_20140601_114930713_HDR.jpg

Fatty time!

IMG_20140601_151707595.jpg

Nice looking smoker. Congrats. Need to make a Fatty on my PBC some day.

Mid-America Steel Drum Company

http://www.midamericasteeldrum.com/index.html

25.00 for unlined/unpainted!!!

Burning not an option in the city. Didn't want to do it anyway!

(only read thread up to page 90 so far)

Got an offset coupla years ago and that thing eats fuel. Will keep it for grilling.

Also have electric bullet smoker. Should I convert to charcoal? How?

View attachment 97281

RATS...lady on phone misunderstood after I told her "unlined". Got email saying 55.00 for new drum.

Getting back on the phone to verify...more to come

The BP makes such the perfect grill in so many ways. It's a heater, food warmer, wind don't affect the coals or food. More coals it sears, less it grills...the coals last longer, it burns clean/efficient. I can't say enough good things about how this drum works. Nothing against all the beautiful UDS's out there but i'm glad i did the BPS for it's functionality.

I've only cooked on it twice so far but I am definitely very fond of it. I can see it easily becoming the go to cooker for anything. I am still debating adding in some holes around the top to put rebar to hang meats, also tempted to add another rack position, I'm picking up a used 22.5" OTG tonight so I'll have a spare lid that I could use to get some added height. But want to get a feel for it before i go and screw with it.

I got the ash catcher with it, and I find it to be clumsy, i can't pull the basket out with out tilting the ash catcher around the thermometer stem, dumping ash into the drum. So I'm using the inner bottom of an old ECB as an ash catcher, works well so far.

Drum update...doh

RATS...lady on phone misunderstood after I told her "unlined". Got email saying 55.00 for new drum.

Getting back on the phone to verify...more to come

Latest email:

Reconditioned means it has been put through our reconditioning process then repainted. If you are using it for food I would go with new. Our drums come from a various supply of customers and each drum is reconditioned the same way. We have no idea if that drums last contained chemicals or peanut butter that’s why we always recommend new

(Seems like the hardest part of this is the drum!)

I've only cooked on it twice so far but I am definitely very fond of it. I can see it easily becoming the go to cooker for anything. I am still debating adding in some holes around the top to put rebar to hang meats, also tempted to add another rack position, I'm picking up a used 22.5" OTG tonight so I'll have a spare lid that I could use to get some added height. But want to get a feel for it before i go and screw with it.

I got the ash catcher with it, and I find it to be clumsy, i can't pull the basket out with out tilting the ash catcher around the thermometer stem, dumping ash into the drum. So I'm using the inner bottom of an old ECB as an ash catcher, works well so far.
Don't screw with adding holes because it won't shut down well when you're done. As far as another grate you can add one on the upper u bolts but i keep a holy pizza pan there myself. For more space if i need it i'll put in a camping grill over my normal grate but gotta use a domed lid in that configuration.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Heavy-Duty-Camp-Grill/dp/B000P9IRKQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401983502&sr=8-4&keywords=camping+grill"]Amazon.com : Texsport Heavy Duty Camp 16" x 12" Grill : Camping Stove Grills : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312p4SwJCzL.@@AMEPARAM@@312p4SwJCzL[/ame]

Thanks FWIS, the camp grill seems like a great idea.

This weekend i think I'm going to tear it apart and spray it with some high temp clear coat, and maybe do the silver flame design. either way it needs some protection.

I used a CB cart pretty much identical to that one for my UDS. Worked great. The only problem is that the side tables are weaker without the grill in between to hold them from folding out. You'll need to cut the bars that the grill sat on off to get it to fit. It looked great after a little paint. I even kept the propane burner on the side, but without bracing it I'm afraid with much weight the arms with the table might collapse.

Well . . . with many thanks to the members of this site, I've finished my first UDS.

I had a few issues to overcome:

1 - Couldn't find less than 4x8 sheets of expanded steel so grabbed 2 pcs of 1/2" 12x24 from Lowes; it will probably burn out but to be honest it made the fire basket pretty easy

2 - Couldn't find replacement coal grate for 18" kettle so went with the 22.5" (17" diameter); my basket is 13" in diameter and 12" high so I'll have to keep an eye on how that performs

3 - Put my grate bolts at 4" and 8"; my drum measures 32.5" inside so I'm at 22.5 from the basket to the bottom grill

I have some flaws in the paint but I can live with those.

Tomorrow I'll season it and do a fatty, chicken wings and maybe some elk burgers.

Sorry about the picture orientation - still working that out.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_3338.jpg
    IMG_3338.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 542
In the process of building my 2nd UDS , I'm entering my 1st bbq contest on the 4th of July , so I need more cooking space , weber lid fits perfect , going to burn it out tonight once the wind dies down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 579
Those are all beautiful UDS!! I really like that stainless one! Man I wish I could afford a stainless barrel. They are pricy but so beautiful.

Wow what a thread!!! Thank you everyone in your input as i just finished my UDS "The Smokin Friar". I did a long season burn and gona try cooking some grub on it on my next day off. Any suggestions on a first smoke item? Will post pic soon. Aloha

I'm doing my season burn and it's not coming up to temp very well.

Started with 4 lbs of lump and 4 chunks of hickory. Put 10 briquettes in the chimney and added to the fire basket when they coated grey. When I poured the briquettes in the fire basket they dispersed quite a bit - looks like my basket is too big because it took a long time to get the lump burning and up to 200*.

I have 3 3/4" nipples with 2 uncapped and the ball valve (full port) wide open and the best I can do is 250* - there's about a 40* diff between the center of the rack and the thermo.

Looks like a long day ahead of me to figure this thing out.

I'm doing my season burn and it's not coming up to temp very well.

Started with 4 lbs of lump and 4 chunks of hickory. Put 10 briquettes in the chimney and added to the fire basket when they coated grey. When I poured the briquettes in the fire basket they dispersed quite a bit - looks like my basket is too big because it took a long time to get the lump burning and up to 200*.

I have 3 3/4" nipples with 2 uncapped and the ball valve (full port) wide open and the best I can do is 250* - there's about a 40* diff between the center of the rack and the thermo.

Looks like a long day ahead of me to figure this thing out.

I usually dump about half a chimney worth of lit brigs. I don't know how many that is but it's way more than 10.

About to build - need some help with charcoal basket.

Hi, I've read a ton of this thread and am about ready to have a go myself. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.

So I'm trying to avoid spending £30-40 on an 8'x4' sheet of expanded metal and I'm trying to think outside of the box.

I had an idea to use something that I have spare and was wondering if you guys thought it would work. It's a stainless steel bird cowl for a chimney. The mesh may be a bit wide?

And is it big enough at 11" diameter x 8" high once I've cut off the lid - will it hold enough for long cooks? Should i just bite the bullet and buy the expanded steel?

And I managed to find two nearly new plain steel barrels for £25, unlined with no rust inhibitor. They contained cardboard boxes of batteries with cork packing. Should i still burn them out? or just sand the paint off and the odd bit of rust and spray with high heat paint?

The lid doesn't fit but i may try flipping it and seeing if it fits the bottom, but then i'd have to cut the top out somehow, only have a jigsaw and an angle grinder at my disposal though.

What do you guys think?

I'd burn it, plus by burning it it will also remove the outside paint. I waited until my drum was super hot and then hit it with the garden hose, the extreme difference in temp of the water on the drum blew the paint off easily.

I would think a jig saw would work to cut the bottlm off if the blade is long enough, myself I used a sawzall.

Have no idea if your chimney thingy will hold up to the heat, but the mesh seems a bit too
spaced out, I would think small pieces of charcoal would fall through.

I think the basket will work out fine. Its silly how difficult & expensive it is it get expanded steel over here.

Just a thought - before you cut the lid could you not put a charcoal grate inside? the lid would make an almost perfect ash catcher. Maybe even hammer the dome down a bit. Your only going to end up cutting it off & installing an ash catcher anyway.. also looks like you got a handle (or making of one) when the whole thing is turned upside down.

As for the lid - do you know anyone who can weld your lid to the original drum lid?
That is what I done, so I got a perfect fit. Cost me about £20 IIRC done by a local panel beater. Then I cut the drum lid with a jigsaw & metal blade.

Do your drums have any lining? I assume not from what you say... I had a drum with no lining & didnt bother burning it out.

A small piece of expanded metal is crazy price here as well, I lucked out and got some at work though it was not as thick a gauge as most people here said I needed, but so far its had no issues.

Back