Wings on a Weber Kettle...any tips?

OakPit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I hung out with Grounhog66 for the Super Bowl and he inspired me to cook wings more often. He had a load of winged goodness slow cooking on his Weber. I realized that I don't cook wings enough. He was kind enough to share his recipe (which was amazing) and while I plan on cooking a batch based upon his advice this Sunday, I thought I'd ask if anyone else had a tip or two for me. I'm not super skilled on the Kettle, but want to get better, so any advice will help. Thanks!

brine them in a simple brine, or kosmo's chicken soak. After that set up the grill for indirect cooking, dump half a chimney of lit lump on top of a chimney of unlit lump on one side, close down the bottom to at least half, and leave the top wide open, opposite of your fire. cook them indirect at about 300 till 165 internal, sauce them and you can give them a quick crisp over the direct heat.

Thanks for the compliment Tim, I appreciate that. Have a look here, these turn out really tasty. Also, here is the link to his mayo recipe.

Yup Kosmo's Chicken Soak would be my brine but if none available do a regular salt / sugar brine then put the wings on a pan that has been covered with a paper towel set the wings on it and cover with another paper towel till they dry then after that use any dry rub and cook indirect till there done about an hour over charcoal. Drying them will give you nice crisp bite through skin. After that I mix Ranch dressing/hot sauce for dipping. Just had half a dozen for lunch today. Yum. Here's mine from yesterday.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100489

I do this all the time. I dump a chimney of lit briquettes or lump on one side and put the wings on the other side. Throw a chunck of wood for smoke flavor if you like. I cook them indirect and hot around 350-400 so they get nice and crispy and fall off the bone delicious. If you get the right temp they'll render nicely and get crispy. The toss them in your favorite sauce.

My lust for wings, is forcing me to add pron to this thread...

5409171627_34223eb844_b.jpg

Last edited:
Smoke them...then
Bread them...then
Fry them...then
Sauce them...then
Eat them...

I trim off the 3 section of the wing and score the joint between the drum and winglette this allows for some rub to get into the joint-meat and for more meat to be on the grill at one time.

Killing me Groundhog66. Good looking stuff. I remember the steam and smell coming off that huge pile-o-wings the other night. Going to try to duplicate on Sunday.

Pretty much just like Groundhog66 does them.:thumb:

I always cut off the "tips" too. My brother and I do them a LOT in the summer. We've done marinades, sauced, all different ways. I swear our favorites are always simple......kosher salt, cracked pepper and garlic. Indirect heat for about 45-60 minutes, turned once or twice, then DEVOURED!!!!

Coals on one side of the kettle, wings on the other. Exhaust vent in lid positioned over the wings so that the heat doesn't go right out. I try and keep the temp around 250 during the cook, then finish them over direct heat to crisp the skin.
LOVE chicken wings.:clap2:

I do them two ways on the Weber. And, I do them on the 22.5 and the Smokey Joe.

If I want Buffalo-style wings, I grill them over direct heat. Use the lid, keep the temps in the 300-350 range. When they are done, I sauce them.

If I want them smokey, with no sauce, I do an indirect cook. I aim for about 250 cooking temperature. I Use a probe thermometer and pull them when they are about 180. It takes about an hour.

I don't smoke them if I'm going to use a full-flavor sauce, like Buffalo wing sauce. What's the point? The sauce overpowers the smoke.

The most important thing is to not let the skin burn while waiting for the meat to be done. Using the lid when grilling on direct heat will keep the flames at bay, and keeping the heat in a reasonable range will allow you to get cooked all the way through, and not burn the skin.

You can always remove the lid at the end if you want to crisp up the skin. Just keep an eye on the wings when you do this. Do NOT walk away to mix another drink. You can go from crisp to burnt quickly if you do not pay attention.

The same goes for drumsticks. I grill drums on the Kettle for camp gatherings, and they disappear. For those, all I do is dust the drums with k-slat and pepper, and grill them -- with the lid on. I turn them regularly.

CD

Don't cut them up, leave them like Tim has them. Go offset and do not overdo the wood for smoke. A kettle imparts a lot more smoke. I like to use a basket so things stay on one level and just toss to turn.

Killing me Groundhog66. Good looking stuff. I remember the steam and smell coming off that huge pile-o-wings the other night. Going to try to duplicate on Sunday.

I bet you will do just fine :thumb:

Back