MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #3121
DallasSooner
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hey, going to try and make those pickles soon. I saw where you said they are ready in a day or two. Can they sit longer than that or is that optimal? i mean are they good after a couple weeks? Never made pickles before.
DallasSooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #3122
Bub-B-Que
Got rid of the matchlight.

No posts since February? He must be busy! Looking like a lot of SOLD OUT on their FB page.
Bub-B-Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #3123
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I want to get over there this summer and check it out.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #3124
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSooner View Post
Hey, going to try and make those pickles soon. I saw where you said they are ready in a day or two. Can they sit longer than that or is that optimal? i mean are they good after a couple weeks? Never made pickles before.
I've made these pickles a ton (mostly for cubans) and I've had them in the fridge for months. Using seedless works better for the longer storage as they are crunchier compared to the norm with seeds.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #3125
tcards
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : John

Anyone know what page the pickle recipe is on?
tcards is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #3126
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Try this....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=3054

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #3127
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I just made a new batch of these last night, they're pretty tasty.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #3128
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

I read through some of this and man so cool. Congrats on getting the place up and running. This has nothing to do with you, I was laughing at your reference that you should open a place up. I just think it is funny that when you start to get into BBQ and friends and family start to dabble in your cooking, they all start saying, “You should open a place up” My wife brings in left overs to work and when I show up at her place they all compliment me and give me the “Open a place up” line. Little do they know I have no idea what I am doing and none of my recipes are my own. I just follow videos and the likes of this page. I will say that I believe that my BBQ is better than the two places here locally. One just sucks and the other is just a little better than sucks. Not to mention I over paid them once and they counted it the mistake in the drawer and gave me store credit would not give my cash back. You think I ever went back?

Wish you the best of luck. Seems like things are off to a great start, hope it only gets better.

Last edited by Rib Rub; 03-30-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #3129
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Stopped by the Fat Cap a couple weeks ago when they opened on a Tuesday. Introduced myself to Jeremy, and talked to him for a minute, he was cutting for lunch rush. All is going well, selling out every day. He said they were adding another Southern Pride for catering and backup for the restaurant. Had the brisket and burnt ends, both where moist , tender, and well balanced. Keep up the great work Jeremy.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #3130
cowdogs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This is good to hear. I hope someday, when and if he feels up to it, Jeremy can tell us how the Prized Pig story ended.

This thread was a unique. First off Jeremy was a great writer, and his story was equal parts entertaining and educational.
One day Jeremy's update would leave me inspired ... wanting to try my hand at the restaurant game.
Then his next update would be a slap in the face that would remind me I was an idiot for ever thinking I could handle the hours and the stress he was under.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #3131
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Just saw this thread today, and wow what an incredible journey! I'm glad Jeremy landed on his feet and is doing what he loves again. I too would be curious as to what happened in the end with the famous Prized Pig story. Happy Q'ing Jeremy!
BBQscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #3132
Panupat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
I've made these pickles a ton (mostly for cubans) and I've had them in the fridge for months.
+1 me too.

Jeremy I want to start a BBQ place here in Thailand. Wish I can learn from you :D
Panupat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #3133
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

How about some more drama to this epic tale?

So, I'm no longer at Fat Cap. About a month ago I broke my hand (non-workplace injury). Therefore I was unable to work. So guess what they did? They fired me. Still using all of my recipes and techniques, but since I got hurt and couldn't work for a while they just decided to let me go. So incredibly unprofessional. But there's not much I can do about it.

Of course it could be a blessing in disguise, because guess what they have decided to do since I left? They are moving away from only selling fresh BBQ to now cooking excess and just cooling/reheating meat just so they can stay open longer and avoid putting a "sold out" sign up. So if you go in there now you don't know if you'll be getting that day's fresh BBQ or something from earlier in the week that was just warmed back up.

That's not how I do BBQ and I wouldn't be able to stand behind the meat counter and consciously serve people knowing that was the case. The funny thing is, they even announced on facebook that they were going to start doing this! Then customers started calling them out on the leftovers and now they have started deleting all of the facebook comments talking about serving leftover BBQ.

So at the end of the day, I guess it's good I'm not there any longer. They only care about making a few extra bucks rather than serve up the highest quality food.

The silver lining to this story? Almost immediately when word began to spread that I was fired, people began contacting me. And I'm in the early stages of working with a local chef and restauranteur who is in the process of opening a BBQ restaurant and needed a consultant and pitmaster. It's a little too early to share details on this venture, but it sounds exciting. They are actually picking up two smokers from Tennessee on Sunday and getting them up here to hopefully begin catering for Notre Dame football in just a few weeks and use that to build up some hype before the restaurant is slated to open in early 2019.

Is there ever a dull moment?
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #3134
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

You got that right, this has been an EPIC tale!!
Thank you for continuing to keep us updated. Sorry to hear of your woes, but sounds like you are getting really, really, good at bouncing back.
All the best to you, and the family.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #3135
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
How about some more drama to this epic tale? ...
Good job.

If you are not consciously working at self-promotion now would be a good time to start. You have a great story and the food columnist for the local newspaper should hear it if he/she has not. Someone in your network of restaurant friends knows this columnist and should be able to arrange a meeting for you. It's an even exchange; you have a story you'd like to get out and the columnist needs material to publish. If you have a good photo of your closed restaurant, take it along. It may get published. Your new employer would be ecstatic, too, if you get some ink.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote