Tri-Tip

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but how does a tri-tip compare to a brisket or a chuck roast? I've never cooked a tri-tip, but I've cooked the other two.

A tri-tip is part of the sirloin, so it doesnt start off as tough of a muscle as a chuck or a brisket. They also don't require high internal temps or long cook times to make them tender.

9b42260f.jpg

You can cook a tri-tip whole or slice into thick strips. I like them cooked to 125° - 130° internal, like I would prepare a steak.

popular way here is to cover with mustard and salt and cover overnight. cook over direct coals for an hour or so. i do the mustard thing then cook over high heat to crust then indirect on my kettle. as said to about 135 or so. best not to overcook. its a good tasting meat so doesn't need to be overdone with all the rubs, etc. hard to mess up as long as not overdone. have fun!

thanks guys! :-D

will have to give one a try real soon. it's nice to have a beef option that doesn't take all day. thanks again.

I have grilled & smoked tri-tip for over 15 years now. It's pretty boring to me. MY new love is brisket. Definitely different tastes. It takes about three to four hours to smoke or an hour to grill (depending on how red you want it internally.

Hey George, do you have a team? Have you done any comps yet?

I grill tri-tips. To me they are closer to a steak than a roast. My family loves the flavor of the trip.

I like to grill over direct heat and baste with a 50/50 mixture of butter and A-1 Sauce.

Hey Larry, when are you going to join my mentoring team? (sorry for the hi jack)

I grill tri-tips. To me they are closer to a steak than a roast. My family loves the flavor of the trip.

I like to grill over direct heat and baste with a 50/50 mixture of butter and A-1 Sauce.

Same here...I prefer grilling them.

I usually grill them to about 125 ish and take off the grill and cover with aluminum foil until it reaches 135 and it is done perfectly. Let it rest about 10-15 minutes slice and enjoy. I have used different seasonings on them, so use your favorite steak type seasoning. GOOD EATS.

Hey Matt, heres one I did last year at Nevada. I think I got a 5th or 7th with it. They are really easy to cook and one of my favorites.

tritip.jpg

if yer refering to me, no, no team, no comps. i'm just a recreational q'r.
kinda hard but interesting as i'm in a wheelchair. only comp's i've been to see were in clovis. i kinda live vicariousely on differant lists. keeps me busy dreaming. thanks for asking.

george

Back