How much peanut oil do I buy?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here is another getting-ready-for-Thanksgiving question.

I have read numerous posts from many helpful Brethren about frying a turkey (safety, how to measure the quantity of oil needed, seasoning, brining, injecting etc), but I need to know how much oil I will need to buy to have enough (i.e. no last minute trip to the grocery store when I'm about to fry the turkey).

I'm planning on a 12# bird, and the pot capacity is 30qt. I have seen 3 gallon jugs of peanut oil at Bass Pro, and the wife is going to scope out Costco today. I don't have much use for peanut oil, so I don't want to buy too much excess, unless you can give me ideas about what to do with all the peanut oil I will have left over.

Thanks!

You need the 3 gallons for most propane fryer pots. Just strain it and freeze it when done. Good for at least a year and/or several usages.

Put your bird on the stand and then in the pot, fill the pot with water so it just comes over the top of the bird. Remove the bird and note the level of the water. That is the amount it will take to safely fry it. :cool:

:thumb:Ok. Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll get a 3 gallon jug and go from there

Their is this Chinese fast food place in Commerce, CA that fries their egg rolls in peanut oil, farking most delicious crap ever! So yeah, use your leftover peanut oil for egg rolls. :thumb:

couple other things on turkey frying set-up
lower the bird very slowly into the hot oil,
make sure bird is totally thawed and outer skin is dry, old saying oil and water don't mix,
you'll need a long thermometer to check internal bird temp. do a test set up,
you'll need several inches of excess pot above the oil with bird, cause it will bubble
set-up on a level surface, nothing burnable around, set-up outside, not in garage
have a fire extinguisher readily available, better to be overly safe than sorry later
you'll need a pair of gloves to protect your hands

fried turkeys are fantastic

t

Since you are in Houston, you can go to Academy and buy the oil by the box. If I'm not mistaken, it is sold in the volume you typically need. Much easier than loading up the cart with several small containers.

couple other things on turkey frying set-up
lower the bird very slowly into the hot oil,
make sure bird is totally thawed and outer skin is dry, old saying oil and water don't mix,
you'll need a long thermometer to check internal bird temp. do a test set up,
you'll need several inches of excess pot above the oil with bird, cause it will bubble
set-up on a level surface, nothing burnable around, set-up outside, not in garage
have a fire extinguisher readily available, better to be overly safe than sorry later
you'll need a pair of gloves to protect your hands

fried turkeys are fantastic

t

And make sure you're covered by Allstate insurance...cause...that's Allstate's stand....

just stay at a holiday inn express the weekend before. you should be good :-D on a serious note definately be carefull. very important to pre measure your oil ahead of time. dont want no spill over or not enough. good luck fried turkeys are great. i would not brine though to much moisture. i would recommend injecting.

tjv: thanks for the safety summary. Pretty much matches the notes I've been taking form various threads. I'll have a fire extinguisher handy as well... just in case, even though we will be outside.

Will check out Academy as well. Their prices are usually pretty decent for most things.

I don't know how many min per pound your doing but if you do 4 min per pound your turkey will turn out black trust me, I do 3 min a pound and have always had great results just saying good luck.:thumb:

I don't know how many min per pound your doing but if you do 4 min per pound your turkey will turn out black trust me, I do 3 min a pound and have always had great results just saying good luck.:thumb:

Was planning on 3min/lb for a 12# bird. I think the bigger birds take 3.5min/lb.

BTW, where are you getting B&B lump from these days? Academy had it last year, but did not see any this year. That stuff is great for my tandoor.

Their is this Chinese fast food place in Commerce, CA that fries their egg rolls in peanut oil, farking most delicious crap ever! So yeah, use your leftover peanut oil for egg rolls. :thumb:

not only that -

homemade french fries in peanut oil = "double friture" are the best !!

or fried Shrimp Tempura or Oysters dipped in a beer batter .....

and you just can store the pan with oil - covered - in a cool place for months.. just don't overheat and burn the oil ...
I run it through a sieve with some paper towel on it, to filter out small batter pieces after a fish fry....

Was planning on 3min/lb for a 12# bird. I think the bigger birds take 3.5min/lb.

BTW, where are you getting B&B lump from these days? Academy had it last year, but did not see any this year. That stuff is great for my tandoor.

Cool you going to share PROn HU HU:becky: I still get it at Academy 20lbs for 12 bucks, also at HEB has smaller bags 6lb. That's weird I just came from
academy to get a injector and some apple chunks I walked right past B&B lump maybe ask a manger to order some ?

:-DI'm hoping that the whole process will be photo'ed for posterity.

knight: I'm jealous that you get B&B and I don't. Will put in a request to the manager.

BTW, Costco had 35lb containers of peanut oil for the same price that Bass pro was selling 3gallons ~$36 + tax. The interwebs says that 35lbs of peanut oil= 4.5gallons, so that's what I got. maybe I'll start another thread for peanut oil prices...

Caliking, peanut oil is very useful and versitile.
It can be used for ANY high heat cooking, and is more economical than it's rivals like grapeseed oil or refined light olive oil.
Long shelf life, can be used to temper acids in marinades and dressings.

HTH

Put your bird on the stand and then in the pot, fill the pot with water so it just comes over the top of the bird. Remove the bird and note the level of the water. That is the amount it will take to safely fry it. :cool:

:thumb: This

Back