MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
adventurelarry
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Any Tips For 1st Packer Brisket on WSM

I have done many brisket flats, and never a packer. Any tips, advice, experience anyone would care to share? When to cut apart point from flat? Re rub? Burnt ends? Really anything that you can think of will be appreciated. Thanks

--Larry
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Trim a lot of the fat off the top and especially in between the point and flat. 225 degrees with a full water pan, put her fat side down and smoke til 160 internal then wrap it in foil the rest of the way.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

make sure the case is full before you begin
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but you are gonna want to use the Minion Method for burning the charcoal so you can get a relatively unattended long burn. You might also want to try the clay pot base or sand mod so you don't run out of water in the middle of the smoke.

Brisket is a candidate for stronger flavored wood chunks too -- oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. I like oak.

Done is not a matter of time or temperature with Brisket, but they are both good guidelines. Done is when the meat seems to jiggle and a probe goes in without much resistance.

You will be amazed at how easy it is on a WSM.

Edit: Well hell, I just re-read your post and you have a lot of experience with briskets on a WSM -- Disregard my entire post LOL

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
adventurelarry
Knows what a fatty is.

I still appreciate it though. Any, and all advice is welcome.

--Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I'm sure it goes without saying, but you are gonna want to use the Minion Method for burning the charcoal so you can get a relatively unattended long burn. You might also want to try the clay pot base or sand mod so you don't run out of water in the middle of the smoke.

Brisket is a candidate for stronger flavored wood chunks too -- oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. I like oak.

Done is not a matter of time or temperature with Brisket, but they are both good guidelines. Done is when the meat seems to jiggle and a probe goes in without much resistance.

You will be amazed at how easy it is on a WSM.

Edit: Well hell, I just re-read your post and you have a lot of experience with briskets on a WSM -- Disregard my entire post LOL
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry View Post
I have done many brisket flats, and never a packer. Any tips, advice, experience anyone would care to share? When to cut apart point from flat? Re rub? Burnt ends? Really anything that you can think of will be appreciated. Thanks

--Larry
I always wrap mine in bacon...anything cooked with pork fat is farkin' awesome!!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
crackerjack BBQ
Got Wood.

It depends if your doing it for competition or friends. For friends then its almost impossible to screw up. For a comp you'll trim the point, the sides and the thinner parts on the flat causing alot of waste but you only need to turn in 6-8 slices. For friends you need volume and beer.
crackerjack BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Heres a different perspective:

Trim all of the "hard" fat off. Put it on the top shelf with no water pan. Leave the vents wide open and cook fat cap down for 1 hour, flip it over and cook another hour. Wrap it in foil with a marinade and cook until it gets done (a fork goes in easy of it is around 200 degrees). Separate the point and the flat. Cut the flat and stick the point back in the smoker for another hour or two and cube for burnt ends.

Bottom Line - try it a lot of different ways and see which way you like it the best.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

I like Wayne's idea; I plan to try cooking one without a water pan sometime soon.

And you should positively make burnt ends. Because I'm pretty sure that's what God eats.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote