MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Luhr Jensen Little Chief Smoker

One is for sale on craigslist for $45

Not sure what it is.. heh. looks interesting though!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here we go again..... lol

It's actually a great fish smoker.

OBTW i know something else you don't have yet.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
tommye1078
Knows what a fatty is.

We had one of those in culinary school. I was fun to mess around with. I'm not sure if 45.00 is a good price or not.
tommye1078 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Little Chief and a Big Chief and use them for jerky, smoked cheese and salmon. Not meant for higher temperature cooking. $45 is an okay deal but it depends how often you see them in your area. Right now in Boise CL, $10 Little Chief and $50 Big Chief are available so it really just depends how popular they are in your area.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ok

Looks like an OK deal. It doesn't look too used by the color near the top exhaust vents. As long as the smoker pan and element aren't worn out or the racks all rusted up, I'd say it's a good deal. I have had both and still use the big one mainly for fish. Sometimes for cold smoking homemade Lox or Jerky...

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
landarc

Looks to be in good shape, they are actually good cold smokers too. I must have sold hundreds of those back in high school. They are also great for cheese

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

My Big Chief is my go to smoker for Smoked Salmon. It is similar to a Bradley Smoker, and only really get up to about 180F. You can use it to cold smoke on this model, by usung the cardboard box and the rack system place on top of the the smoker.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I grew up smoking salmon in a Little Chief. I must have owned five or six of those and have smoked salmon about a hundred times in them. In Seattle the "standard yard sale price" for one is $25. You can buy replacement elements. What happens on those is that the spot-welded cooking grates come apart - the welds just break. Or the chrome on the cooking grates rusts through. These little cookers work fine for fish. Temp inside never gets above 120F or so, so not really usable for pork butts, etc.
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Smokeoholic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieK View Post
My Big Chief is my go to smoker for Smoked Salmon. and only really get up to about 180F. You can use it to cold smoke on this model, by usung the cardboard box and the rack system place on top of the the smoker.
^ ^ ^+1

Great for Salmon, Cheese, Jerky ect for low temps.

This one still look's new, or close to it.

I keep both BC & LC in my arsenal.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know much about them, but in my area there is a well used Big Chief for $40. just to help gauge price.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
thirdeye

Hmmmm, I've owned a Little Chief for so long I've forgotten how old it really is. A good guess would be 30 years. Somewhere along the lines I added a Big Chief too. Bottom line is, they are killer for smoking trout and salmon. I've replaced a few pans and a cord, but my elements are still working fine.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
I grew up smoking salmon in a Little Chief. I must have owned five or six of those and have smoked salmon about a hundred times in them. In Seattle the "standard yard sale price" for one is $25. You can buy replacement elements. What happens on those is that the spot-welded cooking grates come apart - the welds just break. Or the chrome on the cooking grates rusts through. These little cookers work fine for fish. Temp inside never gets above 120F or so, so not really usable for pork butts, etc.
^^^What he said^^^
I got my first Little Chief in 1982, and smoked hundreds of pounds of salmon on it, our biggest problem was the element burning out ever 3-4 years. I did take the bottom out of one and than stacked it on top of a Big Chief for smoking cheese, now I can cold smoke at 90'. We can pick them up used around here for about $25 bucks, but make sure the racks are in good shape.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote