If you could only have one grill/smoker, what would it be?

22 1/2 inch Weber kettle with my homemade stacker can do about anything that needs doin’ except whole hog.

My M1 does pretty much all my smoking & grilling. I have a Weber gasser, but it only gets used if I’m short on time or if I want to use one of my griddle attachments.

This has been on my future list for a few years. Will do pretty much anything. If this wasn't an option, a 55 gallon Gateway drum would be next up.

Edit: this is a Johnson Vertical Smoker

Last edited:
This has been on my future list for a few years. Will do pretty much anything. If this wasn't an option, a 55 gallon Gateway drum would be next up.

You can’t grill on that, can you?

You can’t grill on that, can you?

From what I have read, the pan in the bottom of the cooking chamber, is all welded, and usable as either a water pan, or for putting charcoal in to grill. It might not be the ideal grilling setup, but I believe there are vents on the sides at that pan level, so you would get good airflow?

Last edited:
He said “one”... it’s not an “or” option... lol [emoji12]

And the final answer is... ???

The Primo XL if I don't need to cook more than 1 brisket at a time.

The Yoder YS640s if I would regularly cook multiples of brisket, pork butt, or ribs.

Both will do great steaks and grilled items. Primo gets the nod if you want to do pizzas.

The real answer is to get both, lol

I’ve had a few all rounders...cooked on a Primo oval xl for 8 years and then went to a yoder ys640, and now a Memphis Elite. All can cook anything and everything with the Memphis likely being my favorite so far...180-1000 degrees is a pretty big range of temps to cook at:)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Primo XL works for me as an all rounder. I cook more steaks than anything else these days.

AZ BBQ Scottsdale. Santa Maria grill with space for indirect, smoking, or a griddle. Plus, a lid to boot. Can do anything on it.

Also, as a wood burner, there's no reliance on a plug which is huge for me.

Best grill I've ever bought. My Vault is still an easier smoker, but if only one grill? No question.

Last edited:
I would get the Lang Hybrid 48”. I get to have my model 48 and also a built in charcoal grill in the same unit. It’s pretty awesome.

A ring of large rocks and some wood.IF THAT was ALL I could have.Fortunately,that is not the case.

Back