New BBQ Patent

A better mousetrap indeed!

My initial observation is that thing looks like it would be a bitch to clean. I don’t want to find fault with it, because what they did was ingenious! But if you fill a pit that big you’re going to get a lot of grease.

Now if those curves finished into a channel or they figured out a clean out system that was equally ingenious (and kept the health department happy), then these guys are well on their way.

It's nice to see kids doing something using their God-given intelligence than wasting their lives away playing video games. Kudos to the kids and that was a very simple yet ingenious idea.

An ingenious idea. I wish them a lot of luck with it.
Observation... Apparently their welding program doesn't
include instructions on using a grinder.

I noticed that too! I am sure they know how to clean it up nicely but it’s welding class and that beast was built by 2-3 students in probably 8 weeks only having access to the shop maybe 1.5 hours a day. Pretty impressive all in all.

That is one heck of a cooker.

Yikes. Neat idea, but holy crap on those welds. I'm spoiled by too many Shirley links on this site.

At the Humble City Rodeo BBQ Cookoff this year they had a BBQ pit making competition for highschool kids. And i have to say, there were some nice pits there. Most were basic offsets, but there were a couple that were trying new stuff. I got to talk to a few of the kids that made the pits and it gave me a warm feeling to see how proud they were of the pits and how much thought some of them put into the projects.

The future of cooking with fire may be bright!!

rb

That is one BIG smoker. Very nice! Do you think they might be planning on using it for a graduation party for the whole school! :heh:

Back