Ribs... Must have ribs! Ribs! Riiiiibs! (pr0n)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Much like a zombie craving brains, when mid-winter hits, I start having a major craving for ribs. I figured it was time to finally do something about it! But, I figured I would also make the most of it so, I did a little experimenting while I was at it.
First we took out 3 racks to play with. 2 were good but, the other one was fair at best.
026.jpg

I trimmed them up into St. Louis style and then the experiment began. The first rack on the left was rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub. The middle one was hit with my special slather and dusted with some kosher salt. The right got slathered with BBQ Sauce and then dusted with a rub blend of my own.
036.jpg

038.jpg

While I was at it, I dusted the rest of the scraps with a mix of everything.
039.jpg

Then it was onto the UDS! The racks went on to the lower grate. I normally like to cook my racks high heat style so, that's why they were placed closest. The scraps then went on to the upper rack.
044.jpg

043.jpg

The ribs were flipped after 45 minutes, and then the grates were switched at the 2 hour mark bringing the racks to the top and the scraps to the lower. They continued to cook for around another hour. With 15 minutes to go before the 3 hour mark, everything was hit with Cranberry BBQ Sauce. Then off they came and rested for 20 minutes. Here are the scraps.
057.jpg

And now here are the racks! Simply marvelous on the right. Special slather in the middle, and BBQ Sauce slather on the left.
053.jpg

Next came time to eat!
061.jpg

Now check out these bite marks!
071.jpg

The end analysis? They all were great! The Simply Marvelous had a nice sweet fruity taste to it. The special blend is my standard competition style and it had salty and sweet hits but really let the taste of the pork shine through. The sauce slather ones had a great sweet flavor to them as well with more heat than the other two. All and all it was a great rib mid winter rib feast!
The best part for me was I got to shoot a new video too!
YouTube - "Deep in the Sauce", Episode 12: Ribs

Thanks for looking!

Nice looking ribs Tom! Like the video, nice job staying focused even through the "kid distraction", and the ending was great (I didn't see that coming at all)!:clap2:

I watched the video with my morning coffee. Nice tutorial, loved the finish. Classic.

Jeff

Your ribs looks wonderful , but I never cut them like that but of course yours a whole lot better than my ribs

Here's another shameless plug. There's a reason Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy is Redhot's favorite rub, and BigButz No Butz is our favorite sauce. They're farking good!

What Deguerre said.
Also, Tom - nice looking ribs. Shake it but don't break it!

Back