MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
PS: Wampus, we tie ours up so we can tuck the tip end back on itself rather than wack it off.
I thought of that. I do that with salmon fillets when I smoke em too.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Why don't you cook a prime rib using the reverse sear method? If you cook it at 200-225 it will take a few hours to get to temp. You should have plenty of time to get to chruch and back before its ready.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
newpower
Knows what a fatty is.

I have done this a few times and it has always been a hit. The recipe calls for the oven but I cook it in the Akorn.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...8-d5887fd63828
Ya i know Betty Crocker!!
newpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

When you or yopur butcher trim the fat save it and put it on top of the tenderloin during the cook I have done this putting the rub underneath. The fat melts into the meat during the cook and it turns out awesome I have also made a chimchurri sauce that really was good with the meat
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Why don't you cook a prime rib using the reverse sear method? If you cook it at 200-225 it will take a few hours to get to temp. You should have plenty of time to get to chruch and back before its ready.
Wellllllll........because I smoke my prime rib roasts at about 100 degrees higher than that.

Plus....it's Christmas Eve mass. It will take a bit longer and my son is singing in the choir as well, so we have to be there earlier than normal. And....it's always so packed due to all of the "Chreasters". You know.....the people that always seem to show up only on Christmas and Easter to take our regular seats!

As I said, I usually do prime rib. I've done that for at least 3 years now. I'm not a worrier, but I'd really have a hard time putting a $100+ piece of meat on the smoker and then leaving the house for at least 2 hours. Since I usually do a whole roast (about 14-15 lbs) it's pricey. From what I've been reading, a whole tenderloin will take less than an hour tops, perhaps even half that.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpower View Post
I have done this a few times and it has always been a hit. The recipe calls for the oven but I cook it in the Akorn.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...8-d5887fd63828
Ya i know Betty Crocker!!
Hmmmmm......I never considered stuffing it.
I've done the stuffed pork loin many times. I'll have to consider this.
I'm just not sure how you can improve on arguably one of the best cuts of beef out there? Sometimes simple just works better.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
PatAttack

After mine is cooked, I make a heavy cream, red wine, peppercorn sauce to go with it.

It don't suck!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

I also trim the small end and side part away. I marinate and skewer them, so I have some kabobs to munch on while the roast cooks.

I like to season the meat, then wrap the roasts in bacon, then season the bacon. I reverse sear - when the IT is about 110*, I take off the bacon, baste the roast (EVOO, garlic, rosemary, thyme...), then I sear the roast to IT 125 or 130.

Chop up the bacon and saute it. Add some butter, red wine, beef broth and reduce it. Makes a good sauce.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
After mine is cooked, I make a heavy cream, red wine, peppercorn sauce to go with it.

It don't suck!
Well.....you farkin TEASE!!!
Like a glaze? Dippin sauce? How thick are you talkin? Do you glaze the roast when done or each slice after carving?

Details. DETAILS!!!! I NEED DETAILS WALTER!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #25
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Well.....you farkin TEASE!!!
Like a glaze? Dippin sauce? How thick are you talkin? Do you glaze the roast when done or each slice after carving?

Details. DETAILS!!!! I NEED DETAILS WALTER!!!!
Shut the fark up, Donnie!

Usually, I'll take two of the small cartons of heavy cream, about a fourth of a bottle of good red wine and about two or three palms full of black peppercorns. Put that in a saucepan and simmer real low for about an hour. It will thicken to the point of a kind of thin gravy.

After that, I'll S&P the sauce to taste.

To start, maybe use one little carton of heavy cream, 1/8 bottle of decent red wine (the kind you'd actually drink) and a couple palm fulls of peppercorns just to try out first. The longer it simmers, the thicker it gets, the tastier it gets! It do not suck!

Oh, afterwards, I just spoon some over the sliced meat. Or, you could use it as a dipping sauce. Whatever floats you In-N-Out!

Is THAT good enough, Donnie???!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590

Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
PatAttack

Wamp must be stuck in that N&P vortex, again.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590

Old 12-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #27
deguerre

Nah. He just heard me coming. Sorry Wamp! Didn't mean to spoil the party! Let me tell you what I think about the whole tenderloins I've cooked: "*"

Yep. Never done one. Interesting thread.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

I agree it needs to be trimmed. Wish I had pictures but I will do my best to describe. After you trim the silver skin and chain off, take the thin end and fold it back towards the middle. Use butchers twine to tie up in to a pretty even log. Then rub the whole thing with kosher salt. Stick it on a wire rack in your fridge either uncovered(depending on what else is in your fridge) or loosely covered. You can do this anywhere from 4-24 hours out.

Then season with coarse black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and bake or smoke at 225 until an internal of 118. Let rest for about 15 minutes. Then reverse sear in a cast iron skillet. After you remove the roast make a quick au poivre sauce. Deglace the pan with 1/3 cup cognac then add 1 cup of heavy cream and reduce. Have also finished by putting a compound butter on the roast as soon as it comes off the sear (Butter, salt, pepper, minced shallot, parsley, minced garlic)

This was our normal x-mas dinner until I started doing prime rib.

I am sure whatever you decide on it will be delicious.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Shut the fark up, Donnie!

Usually, I'll take two of the small cartons of heavy cream, about a fourth of a bottle of good red wine and about two or three palms full of black peppercorns. Put that in a saucepan and simmer real low for about an hour. It will thicken to the point of a kind of thin gravy.

After that, I'll S&P the sauce to taste.

To start, maybe use one little carton of heavy cream, 1/8 bottle of decent red wine (the kind you'd actually drink) and a couple palm fulls of peppercorns just to try out first. The longer it simmers, the thicker it gets, the tastier it gets! It do not suck!

Oh, afterwards, I just spoon some over the sliced meat. Or, you could use it as a dipping sauce. Whatever floats you In-N-Out!

Is THAT good enough, Donnie???!!
Pink peppercorns lend a more perfumey flavor while retaining some of the pepper flavor.They grow wild in FL., Calie and Brazil.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I just trim the silver skin and fat, use a simple salt & pepper rub and cook indirect to about 100* then sear to an IT of about 120* (our family really like beef rare) , turning pretty frequently to get all sides. I've done them on the Webers but vhere is a shot of a couple on the Santa Maria ranch grill.
Now this is a smart man........He tied the tail of the loin as well as the rest.