MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
cinmur
Knows what a fatty is.

Default uds barrel

Is a barrel that had oil in it ok to use? I burned it out and it looks good.
cinmur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't use it. But I'm certain you will hear from many that have and are still alive to tell about it.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
leanza
Babbling Farker

Many have said a proper burn will make it clean, exceptable... But not me brother. I think the chems get into even the micro of the metal. Not comfortable with that with it serving my family

Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I go with those who say that food grade drums are easy to find, so why bother with something questionable. Ask yourself how you'd feel about eating a breakfast cooked in a cast iron skillet that used to be used as a drip pan and you'll have your answer.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

What kind of oil?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

All ferous steel is quenched or treated with petrolem products from the foundry(rust inhibitor). If you had ever dealt with a 30 ton roll of sheet steel you'd know they are just about dripping with rust inhibitors. They all have had some sort of oil on them during the production process. Oil in a barrel is no worse or better than having a chemical liner burned out of them and maybe better after all its a natural product of decomposing plant material. Whats in those liners, plastics and chemicals. There are a few chemical products introduced into motor oils for lubrication that can either be washed out or burned off. Do some research into motor oil lubrication chemicals and you'll see whats exactly in the products... Then make a lucide and informed decision...Good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

My UDS started life as a container for motor oil. been using it for several years, and haven't had a single issue. I did 2 or 3 HOT burnouts before assembly. She's so coated with grease now, it's all good.

I'm of the opinion, if you're uncomfortable with the barrels previous use, don't use it.

Matt

Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

Mine was used for motor oil as well. Did a good burn out and power washing and it was nice and clean. Like was mentioned...all metal has some sort of lubricant on it at some point. Once you season it you have layers of buildup between your food and the metal anyway. Been using it for about two months now without any issue or odd tastes or anything.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Given the choice, I would use a food grade barrel. But if not available, I would use a cleaned out / burned out oil barrel. People have been cooking with used oil barrels as long as there have been used oil barrels.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote