Wicken Yanks "Fatty"

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I recently purchased half of a pig from a local farm here in Cambridgeshire and I have more sausage than I know what to do with! Thanks to some inspiration from great threads of months and years past, I thought I'd try making my own "fatty" with some top quality pork.

I took about a pound of the sausage and flattened it out into a basic rectangle, added some onion, jalapeño, garlic, and decided to only add cheddar cheese to half of it this time around.

8478173411_bd0112c1de_n.jpg

I rolled her up in plastic wrap, put her in the fridge for a little bit to firm up, then applied some dry rub all around before I threw her in the smoker with my ribs (from the same pig).

8479259934_4327a7141e_n.jpg

I've got a probe stuck in the top to keep tabs on the temp, and she's sitting in the back of my offset smoker. I'm considering wrapping her in foil after an hour or two to both help speed the cooking and to make sure that nothing can escape.

8479257242_0e2483dafe.jpg

Thoughts / advice always welcome... I'm a genuine noob at this "Fatty" business, and I look forward to more adventures as I learn the ropes from you veterans.

Kind regards,
SD

that looks good , im going to have to do that , i have a pork sausage problem too :)

Hmmm... it's only been about 85 minutes and my temp probe is reporting 165...

Does this seem a bit quick, or just normal (since it's a pretty thin wrap of pork sausage)?

I think I'll give her a few more minutes before I wrap her in foil and let her rest in a warm oven for a bit.

Thoughts?

Internal temperature simply doesn't lie.

8479808160_805fc3df79.jpg

She came out very nicely - I think I'll do the cheese on both sides of the fatty next time. I didn't "precook" the onions and jalapeños like others have suggested in the past... They cooked just fine in all the pork fat.

8478711913_582fd5a4b8.jpg

Not a bad dinner, after all.

Ahh, the magical fatty! Second best food to turn a vegan into a meat eater. That all looks great. Are the ribs from the same pig?

Back