Beef Short Ribs (Bone in) on the 22" WSM

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
A few days ago, Saiko who also added a 22 WSM, asked me to see some action pics to prove I got mine... Fired it up for the first time this morning..

Got 4 racks of bone in short ribs from RD yesterday (18.5 lbs @ $2.75/lb)..

wsm.jpg

short.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fancy door ya got there

Slight gap at top due to curvature but I don't think it's carrying in air as the latch is lower.. Too hot to mess with it now. Nice that the magnetic bracket for the Guru clips right on there.

As expected, it's cooking a bit hotter the first time out.. Part of it was my fault. I put the Guru temp probe too close to the meat and it was sending low readings to controller so it ended up pushing 305 to start.. Now about 275 deg.

Last edited:
I keep looking at those when I go to RD but I've never tried them. They look good! I'm interested to see how they cook.

I've found that gaps and what we think are leaks do not affect the wsm. It's made that way. I used to obsess and wrap foil around the door, I've seen others use gaskets. It's not needed. Been thinking about the heat that door gets though...

Been thinking about the heat that door gets though...

Good point..

I just went out and checked the outer door temp with infrared thermometer and the outside only ranged from 85-95 degrees at various spots.. Sure it's hotter on the inner door but I don't think it's hot enough to negatively impact anything overall.

PS - Realized why temps weren't regulating w/ Guru at the start.. I forgot to close one of the three bottom vents :doh:

Been Working fine after I figured it out :thumb:

Last edited:
So are the cajun doors better for the WSMs or leave good enough alone (stock door)?
I keep debating back and forth to get the Cajun doors and do a cook and things are hust fine. Welp, I answered my own question (chime in anyways, please)!

shiney. :becky:

my 22's love 275*. they lock in almost automatically right there.

enjoy your cook, it's quite a nice day up here.

what are you using for fuel/wood?

water in the pan or foiled?

oh, and i personally don't worry about gaps/leaks with the WSM.

So are the cajun doors better for the WSMs or leave good enough alone (stock door)?
I keep debating back and forth to get the Cajun doors and do a cook and things are hust fine. Welp, I answered my own question (chime in anyways, please)!

Not sure if they are better, but they are more sturdy and look nice !!

shiney. :becky:

my 22's love 275*. they lock in almost automatically right there.

enjoy your cook, it's quite a nice day up here.

what are you using for fuel/wood?

water in the pan or foiled?

oh, and i personally don't worry about gaps/leaks with the WSM.

Thanks...Yeah, real nice day.. mid 50's right now.

Royal Oak lump & oak chunks for fuel.. Pan is foiled..small foil balls at the bottom then covered with foil all over...just a small amount of water to prevent any flares of fat drippings but not enough to make a steam chamber.

Beef ribs are the only thing I pan. I pan them upside down so they fry in their own fat before I flip them. I love that cracklin (pork skin) style style crunchy fat.

Looking good so far! I just wrapped my waterpan with the foil ball gaps, but I still haven't fired the new 22" up. Was going to do a burn in today abut 90% chance of rain talked me out of it.

Any trouble getting up to temps with the guru? I'm a little worried about ramping up to 325 with the iQue110 with the 22".

Looking forward to some finished product pics!

Edit: Forgot to ask: What kind of temperature gaps are you seeing between what you are measuring at the grates and the dome gauge?

Getting close

beefrib.jpg

Looking good so far! I just wrapped my waterpan with the foil ball gaps, but I still haven't fired the new 22" up. Was going to do a burn in today abut 90% chance of rain talked me out of it.

Any trouble getting up to temps with the guru? I'm a little worried about ramping up to 325 with the iQue110 with the 22".

Looking forward to some finished product pics!

Edit: Forgot to ask: What kind of temperature gaps are you seeing between what you are measuring at the grates and the dome gauge?

Thanks.. no problem w/ the Guru.. I started hot (unintentionally) came back down and then ramped back up..

The Weber dome therm appears to be a POS.. Right now it's saying 20 degrees below the grate temp..

The Weber dome therm appears to be a POS.. Right now it's saying 20 degrees below the grate temp..

Yes, but more importantly is it a consistent POS? If it's always 20 degrees off, at least I can use it as a guide.
Food looks great!

Yes, but more importantly is it a consistent POS? If it's always 20 degrees off, at least I can use it as a guide.
Food looks great!

I shouldn't say it's a POS, I've only got this one cook to go by. Safe to say, it seems consistent, even if it is or isn't accurate.

Are you comparing dome temp to grate temp? Because they're inherently different.

Are you comparing dome temp to grate temp? Because they're inherently different.

Yeah without a doubt. What I'm getting at though is that if it is consistently off by a certain percentage you could still use it as a guide for grate temp. If it wanders all over the place than it is useless.

Back