Who has a Jerky Cannon?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Who has one of these and how well (or not) do you like it? I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. I have been making jerky for quite a while but never with ground meat. I have a el-cheapo dehydrator (one of the round ones) with 8 shelves and it works pretty well as long as I rotate the shelves from top to bottom about half way through the process.

Why would you want real beef jerky, from real meat, when you can grind up lesser cuts and reform it like that commercial crap you buy?

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

s7_518639_001_01

I have one but I only use for filling mass quantities of ABTs...

Probably because I think Slim Jims a personal gift to me from God :)

LOL! if you're going to make jerky, then yes, the jerky cannons are the way to go. There's really no other way to form the "sticks" on your dehydrator racks.

As for the meat I use, I typically make jerky from bottom round roast because of its low fat content. I also have a LOT of dear hunter friends here in western North Carolina and I end up with a good bit of freebie venison in the weeks after Thanksgiving each year. I did also see someone on a Youtube video using them to load up ABTs... I haven't tried ABTs yet but it's on the agenda. My girlfriend even said she would try one of those as long as I didn't call it by it's proper name... ;)

I have one. It works ok for what it's designed for, and is ok for making small quantities of snack sticks, but it does give your forearm a workout.

Sorry JM, slim Jim's don't do it for me. Give me the jerky that lasts awhile in my mouth. I also like knowing it's real beef instead of pink slime and floor scrapings...:)

Sorry JM, slim Jim's don't do it for me. Give me the jerky that lasts awhile in my mouth. I also like knowing it's real beef instead of pink slime and floor scrapings...:)

I do agree that slim jims are far from being anything of quality. I'm just thinking about getting one of these jerky cannons so I can make my own from good quality meat. Once I get my meat slicer I might make some really nice 'real beef' jerky as well. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the slicer too :)

I do agree that slim jims are far from being anything of quality. I'm just thinking about getting one of these jerky cannons so I can make my own from good quality meat. Once I get my meat slicer I might make some really nice 'real beef' jerky as well. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy the slicer too :)

i thought you already bought the slicer...??

I've made jerky stick years ago by taking small amounts of ground meat and rolling on the cutting board, like making snakes with play-doh.

Tod

Bought a grinder... haven't bought the slicer yet.

Couldn't you could grind the meat and stuff into small tubes. Which grinder did you get and how do you like it? I couldn't pass up a CL deal on a stuffer so now I need the grinder.

I don't have one, nor have used one, but I DID eat jerky that was made with one and was very impressed! Didn't wear my jaw out eating it! I saw that very one at Wally World myself and plan on picking it up to try!

I don't have one, nor have used one, but I DID eat jerky that was made with one and was very impressed! Didn't wear my jaw out eating it! I saw that very one at Wally World myself and plan on picking it up to try!

For 13 bux I won't be out of much... This one comes with three attachments... a round, a double flat, and a single extra wide flat. It also comes with five packs of seasoning and cure that are each enough to do one pound of meat.

Back