MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #31
leanza
Babbling Farker

Heard that Stocker was a good machine. I just ran a maiden voyage on my new Guru CyberQ II. Nice run for sure. Love the Ramp Mode. Everyone do your homework!

I noticed Lee Ann has one......

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #32
SkySaw
Knows what a fatty is.

Hi Tom - I'm glad to hear that your CyberQII is in full-swing! I also caught that quick view of the Guru, although I thought she had it sitting next to a pellet-cooker. It's hard to keep track of all those different pits.

Mark
SkySaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

We purchased a Stoker half-way through this season and I absolutely love it! We use it to run all four of our WSMs at the same time, and it performs almost flawlessly for over 18 hours at a contest. I find that especially with the low and slow cooks (<50 degrees) it will keep temps within +/- 10 degrees for 95 percent of the cook.

It is also user-friendly. I pulled this thing straight out of the packaging at a contest in Waterloo, IA this summer. Within one hour I had it all set-up and it was cooking our overnight meats. We won RGC at that contest the next day, and won GC the day after that using it in LaPorte City.

I now have it set-up so I can control it from my iPhone and/or my laptop. The iPhone is great so that way when I wake up in the middle of the night worried about how my cookers are doing, all I have to do is grab my phone that is right next to me and I can monitor and control the temps from it.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #34
Smokey-T
Full Fledged Farker

So anything with a browser will work for remote monitoring once connected, like my blackberry storm 2?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #35
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I am ordering a stoker today or tomorrow...I am not real fond of the CS issues, but I want to be able to control the unit over a computer, and currently, the only (easy) choice is the stoker..the cyberq does not seem to work too well over a wireless network from what I gather
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey-T View Post
So anything with a browser will work for remote monitoring once connected, like my blackberry storm 2?
Exactly. Any web enabled device. You set the I.P. address on the Stoker and you simply enter the I.P. address in the address bar of your browser. Of course the Stoker must first be connected to a network.

FANTASTIC device!
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]

Last edited by musicmanryann; 12-14-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: typo
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
t6nsmit
Got rid of the matchlight.

I ordered my Stoker on 1/24 and they're on back order. I talked with the store today and they are hoping to ship by middle of next week. I'm bummed and can't wait to fire it up!
t6nsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
Exactly. Any web enabled device. You set the I.P. address on the Stoker and you simply enter the I.P. address in the address bar of your browser. Of course the Stoker must first be connected to a network.

FANTASTIC device!
This would only be the case if the stoker and the phone are on the same network. If you leave the house and want to monitor your temps wouldn't you have to open up a port on your router?

If your external IP address (not the Stoker IP address) is 123.456.78.9 and you open port 8080, then will entering 123.456.78.9:8080 into your phone's browser work?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #39
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #40
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Does any one here use a stoker on a UDS? I was thinking of ordering one and wanted to be able to controll all 4 of my UDS's and was wondering how well it worked on those units .... anyone?
musicmanryann commented that he is using it to control 4 wsm's so i can't imagine it would be much different for UDS's.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #41
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I have a couple Stoker units. The funny thing is I have called John many times and he has always answered my calls. I called a few weeks ago to place an order and a gal answered on the first ring. I swear by the Stoker with my Stumps Smoker, I can set it at 225 degrees and it won't vary more than 1/2 degree over 12 hour period. Heck anyone who has seen me and my cooker at a comp can attest to that. It's like those Amazon ratings, some people say 5 stars some people say 1 star.... who is right???

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #42
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
I use my stoker to control my 2 uds's. Works great. John didn't have an adapter other than one he concocted for his own use. I use that and two holes for the temp and meat probe.

PM me if you have any q's. Used them at home and competition.
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #43
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
This would only be the case if the stoker and the phone are on the same network. If you leave the house and want to monitor your temps wouldn't you have to open up a port on your router?

If your external IP address (not the Stoker IP address) is 123.456.78.9 and you open port 8080, then will entering 123.456.78.9:8080 into your phone's browser work?

I know Verizon offers a MIMO device that allows 5 devices to connect to their broadband network from your connection. You could use any device that supports wifi to connect to this as well as the Stoker. Nice option over a single air card.\ and its still only $59.95/mo.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ompletedOrder=
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #44
t6nsmit
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just called Rock's and was told that my Stoker should be shipped by Friday! I guess it was the probes themselves that were back ordered. Anyway, I'm happy and eagerly awaiting.
t6nsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #45
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

i run my drum on a stoker and love it

Tags
Stoker