MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Big Poppa Smoker UDS Opnions

So I'll be picking up a better drum for my uds build and was considering the kit just because it would save me some time running around and picking up supplies. Just seeing if people think its worth the price. I only saw one of these in the monster thread but nothing besides that.

PS I already have a Weber 22.5 kettle, pipe nipples and stainless hardware so I just need another grate technically.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

If all you need is another grate, I don't understand what this "time running around and picking up supplies" is. Reuse stuff, especially if it is stainless. It will turn black after first cook, so it doesn't have to look new.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

BPS provides an amazing kit for the UDS build. I wish, sooooo....wish this would have been available years ago.

IMO...buy it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

While I don't have any personal experience with using the BPS kit, they look like a quality kit. It all depends what you want in the end. I think the BPS kit may give you a little more polished/store bought look on your cooker vs. putting one together with pipe nipples and bolts, but functionality will be about the same should you choose to build one using hardware store parts-given you build it within the typical UDS guidelines. Like others, I don't really see the issue of "running around gathering parts"- most parts are available at the big box stores(bolts,grates,pipes,paint)...there ain't much else goes into these things.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Eiu110
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have very little experience/skill with tools and had never built anything before in my life when I built my UDS. Went to Lowes and had all my materials in about 45 min. The actual build of my UDS took less than an hour. I say build it yourself. Study the monster thread here, look at YouTube and have fun. It was important for me that my UDS be MINE.

Plus, like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I think it was a breeze.
Eiu110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

The biggest thing that I would want off that kit is the basket. That's my biggest obstacle in this build since I don't weld. Going to build this one myself and order the kit for the next build.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I've got the stainless BPS drum and my old homebuilt drum too. The BPS is definitely a nicer looking set up than my old one. I also love the BPS coal basket and the way it is adjustable to two levels.
Everything about the design is great. I think the kit is worth the price.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
TurkeyLeg
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
The biggest thing that I would want off that kit is the basket. That's my biggest obstacle in this build since I don't weld. Going to build this one myself and order the kit for the next build.

I used a rectangle lava rock grate from a gasser for the bottom then attached expanded metal sides with hog rings. With 3" bolts, nuts and fender washers for legs. No welding required. It's 14"x9".
TurkeyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

i have used the BPS drum kit. buy it. its well thought out. 2 levels for the coal basket and can use 2 grates. its a good kit. my family didn't take to the food coming off the drum but if they did i would have 3 or 4 of them. i have cooked at 225 for over 15 hours on one coal basket filled up. well worth the money. kit and a drum and you can a great smoker for under $160 (i found a drum for $30).

Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I like mine a whole lot. Is it worth the extra money? I don't know. The way I look at it, it is not a whole lot extra money.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
You can easily wire the basket together. The majority of the builds are done this way. They don't have to be welded.
The one item that I'd like from from Bib Poppa is the sliding draft door if I build another UDS.

Last edited by Carbon; 06-10-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
deguerre

If it's designed in house by Big Poppa's, then it's of high quality. Come to think of it, if it's on Big Poppa's website period, it's of high quality. If I were going to make a UDS, I'd get that kit in a heartbeat.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
You can order the basket (they call it a nest) by itself. I ordered one for my drum & it works really well.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
landarc

I would get a BPS kit if I was to build a UDS now, especially for the adjustment vents.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

I saw that I could order it by itself, but it cost almost half as much as the kit costs which is why I was considering the whole thing. I've decided since I have most of the supplies, I'll finish this build. If it works out well and I build another, I'll order the kit to simplify things.