• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole Hog Potato Salad??

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Alright Brothers and Sisters... I need your help.

There's a famous - and also VERY good - Q joint in Little Rock called "Whole Hog Cafe and Catering."

I used to travel to Little Rock a lot and every time I did, I'd stop by there and have some ribs and potato salad.

The ribs were ok (for a complete BBQ snob like me that is high praise) but the potato salad was the best I've ever had.

I don't work for the company that used to send me to Little Rock anymore so I've not had a fix of that amazing potato salad in over two years.

I've tried every way I could think of to reproduce - or at least get close to - that recipe but have failed miserably every time.

Are there any Brothers or Sisters out there that know the potato salad I'm talking about AND have been able to figure out the recipe AND would be willing to share it? Pllllleeeeeease??:pray:

copycat recipe

Found this, a copycat recipe the author said was his version of the Whole Hog recipe. His comment said there was evidence that the potato salad they sell might be purchased from a food service vendor. Let us know how close this is to what you want:
paperboy98

Potato Salad Recipe

1 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
1/2 pkg dry Ranch Dressing Mix
1 tsp dry bbq rub
3 Baking Poatoes Sliced 1/8" slice
8 Slices of Bacon
Green Onion Tops only - 6 Scallions
Salt and Pepper

-In a separate bowl mix first 4 ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste
-Boil potato slices to fork tender stage and cool down quickly with ice bath or cold water to stop cooking process (Whole Hog Cafe bakes their potatoes and then skins and slices them I believe)
-Rough chop and fry bacon pieces
-Dice green onions and reserve ½ cup green onion tops

Pour dressing mixture over cooled potatoes and add onions and bacon (you may have extra dressing depending on the size of your potatoes) and mix gently to avoid mashing your potatoes. Top with green onions and serve.

another (better) recipe

found a comment from the owner of WHC that he used baked pototoes. Then I found this recipe, which fits that comment. Might be better:
paperboy98

Whole Hog Cafe Potato Salad (maybe Cross-Eyed Pig)

3 1/2 lbs red potatoes
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. black pepper
1 t. dry parsley
1 t. salt
1 T sugar
1 t dry ranch dressing
1/3 cup chives
1/2 cup green onions
1 cup bacon
2 cups sour cream
2 cups mayo
splash of vinegar

1. Bake potatoes (for medium size should take about and hour)
2. Let cool slightly then cut into cubes
3. Mix in spices one at at time
4. Add bacon, onion and chives, mix again
5. Add in sour cream and mayo and mix again
6. Cover and refrigerate ~ THE LONGER THE BETTER!

found a comment from the owner of WHC that he used baked pototoes. Then I found this recipe, which fits that comment. Might be better:
paperboy98

Whole Hog Cafe Potato Salad (maybe Cross-Eyed Pig)

3 1/2 lbs red potatoes
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. black pepper
1 t. dry parsley
1 t. salt
1 T sugar
1 t dry ranch dressing
1/3 cup chives
1/2 cup green onions
1 cup bacon
2 cups sour cream
2 cups mayo
splash of vinegar

1. Bake potatoes (for medium size should take about and hour)
2. Let cool slightly then cut into cubes
3. Mix in spices one at at time
4. Add bacon, onion and chives, mix again
5. Add in sour cream and mayo and mix again
6. Cover and refrigerate ~ THE LONGER THE BETTER!

Yeah... that looks better. I know they use red potatoes... COOL! I'll give it shot. Thanks.:thumb::becky:

is it just me or ....seems like that is an awful lot of mayo/sour cream for just 3.5lbs of taters...maybe not though?

I know... but I think that's what makes it so darn good. Not sure yet. Gonna have to try it this weekend. Mmmmm....tastebuds and tummy are wringing their little hands in anticipation.

I know... but I think that's what makes it so darn good. Not sure yet. Gonna have to try it this weekend. Mmmmm....tastebuds and tummy are wringing their little hands in anticipation.

let us know how it comes out and if you made any adjustments to recipe

We have a Whole Hog in Fayetteville and I buy that stuff to take home all the time! And I don't normally LIKE potato salad!

It is AWESOME!

Found this, a copycat recipe the author said was his version of the Whole Hog recipe. His comment said there was evidence that the potato salad they sell might be purchased from a food service vendor..

I've had one other person tell me that it is a "purchased" potato salad and I just don't buy it...

I've never had anything anywhere else that was even CLOSE to it...

Back