MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #7531
kcarz
Found some matches.

I live in the KC area, where are you finding drums under $30? Found several places selling junk for about $25
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #7532
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

one set aspen/mahagony removable side shelves awaiting linseed oil - why not add some accelerant?

close up. the shelves slide into the handle in case i don't want to use them or future mods/accessories.

the twins. i should be finishing the other set of shelves instead of posting

this one has to do with losing stuff

Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #7533
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

"Quote This is the lid to my Weber, I do not want to have adjust it to fit the drum so I will find a new cheap kettle or a used Weber at the right price
[/QUOTE]

I took a grinder to the top rim and took enough off all the way around until my lid fit. You might even try the lid on the bottom if you didn't cut it open yet, it might fit better.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #7534
2ndchance

I never thought about trying the bottom, thanks for the idea Blackdog. I still want another Weber lid just to keep things simple and I just ordered a Smokenator for my Weber.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #7535
IDODSICK
Found some matches.

nice looking rigs righteous dog.

after my 6th cook now, i figured the spike wasnt really a spike. my smoking wood was smoking rather heavily initially causing the temps to be lower (albeit 220-230). once the smoke settled down it wasnt choking the fire out hence the increase in temp. i need to just wait a bit longer for it to dial in before leaving it alone. my buddy is bringing me 30ish lbs of boar he shot down in FL tomorrow. wish me luck, its my first boar cook.
IDODSICK is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #7536
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

So I finally finished up my UDS build this weekend and broke it in with a 3 hour empty burn with the intakes wide open, then cranked it down to 225* and seasoned it with a few fatties, then cranked it open again and let it run the rest of the day. I have to say that if there any non-believers reading this thread, if you follow the general guidelines set forth by the brethren they will definitely deliver as promised. When all was said and done, I ended up running around 350* for 9 hours total and 225* for 3 hours total and only used about 8 lbs. of charcoal. Un-farking-believable. Now on to the pr0n:

For this first build, I went with the no-frills-no-skills approach. No welding, no step-bits for the big intake pipe hole, no grinding or cutting. The basket is made up of the charcoal grate from a Weber kettle, 2 12x24" sheets of 18 ga expanded steel, and then some bolts, nuts and bailing wire where necessary:

And here's the UDS itself. For the intakes at the bottom, I drilled 3 3/8" holes around the bottom and covered them up with 1" diameter magnets. Bottom rack is 22" above the base of the charcoal basket and the top rack is 6" above that. Thermometer is the basic 100/475 from BBQ Bonanza.

Minion method setup. Coals lit with weed burner

First batch of "seasoning" fatties

With two intakes blocked and the third at 3/4 open, it settled in to 225* exactly shortly after this and held steady with no tending. I'm blown away by the efficiency of the rig!

And here's a shot of the final product. The one on top was stuffed with sauteed onions and cheddar with Corky's rub. The one on the bottom was stuffed with bleu cheese and bacon with steak seasoning on the outside instead of a rub. I got busy tending to a sick kid so they overcooked a little, but still turned out great.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. This UDS will bring me and my family a lot of joy and full bellies for many years to come. For anyone on the fence about building their own UDS, do it! There's just something incredibly satisfying about smoking your food in something you built, which just happens to be something that most others use as a garbage can!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #7537
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarz View Post
I live in the KC area, where are you finding drums under $30? Found several places selling junk for about $25
Consolidated Container Company. Just south of Kemper on State Line Rd.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #7538
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Just ran my UDS for 26 hours, 225-250, on 8# of Rancher Briquettes.

Just can't beat it!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #7539
Ltigar
Knows what a fatty is.

this is a good thread.
just a few hundred pages too long though.
Ltigar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #7540
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Just ran my UDS for 26 hours, 225-250, on 8# of Rancher Briquettes.

Just can't beat it!
Need details on the blower setup! Definitely a neat looking setup!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #7541
kcarz
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
Consolidated Container Company. Just south of Kemper on State Line Rd.
Thanks Bover. I will check it out.
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #7542
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Need details on the blower setup! Definitely a neat looking setup!
That is a "Stoker" by brand, 10CFM blower. Has a 12VDC motor (I removed the Stoker electronics) and wired in a 12DC razer charger cord.

The Pid controller is an AUBER Ins. device. 6 programable steps based on time. (60MIN at 100F, 240MON at 225F)

Their link is on my Blog (see Signature)
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #7543
rattler4675
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well guys, I have read most of this thread and I am ready to build my own UDS. I obtained a drum today (hard to beat the price since it was free). I still have to come up with all the other parts and pieces but I have a lot of great ideas thanks to this thread and none of the other parts seem to be too hard to come by.
It will likely be a few weeks before I start construction, but, I do want to say thanks to each of you that have contributed ideas and pictures to this thread. I am sure that they will guide me safely to my quest for good food from my own UDS.

Thanks again,

Stan
rattler4675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #7544
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Stan, it's an easy build bro. My best advise is to keep it as simple as possible. That is what will work the best. Keep us posted on what you decide on.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #7545
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Just finished up a valve mod over the weekend. I was getting tired of guessing and checking the valve ball locations during a cook. So I decided to make the adjustment easier to get to and easier to know the valve status.

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker