MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default When Friends Stop By And Sample Your Q...

All of our comps have ben fairly close to home so far. This leads to friends stopping by and sampling our food after turn ins, and we are more than happy for them to do so.

Her is my question. Does it bother you at all when its a friend who has never tried your BBQ before, and this bland syrupy competition crap with no real bark?(personal opinion even the stuff that wins) I don't lose any sleep over it, I would just prefer a person's first impression of something that they think I'm supposed to be good at to be th kind of Q that I would serve them in my back yard.

Anybody else feel the same?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Your competition BBQ is bland?

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Your competition BBQ is bland?
Well unless I'm cooking IBCA

Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

If they have never eaten at your house, they are acquaintances.

Secondly, our team cooked for about 60 of our closest friends yesterday and we did everything except the very last steps on all four meats. No complaints. Lots of foodgasms though.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
If they have never eaten at your house, they are acquaintances
I have a lot of FRIENDS whom I have never had over. Not everyone's living situation allows for entertaining.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Doesn't really bother me. I usually explain the difference between what I do at a comp and what I do at home. Even newbies appreciate the explanation. A few times, those that have eaten from my backyard before coming to a comp have commented they prefer the backyard product. My response is generally, at comps, I cook for the judges, not you. At home, I cook for you and me. They understand pretty quick.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Doesn't really bother me either.

Yesterday afternoon/last night, we had some friends over to eat the Q I had done as a trial for the upcoming PITP comp in Salisbury, MD. Funny, I thought the stuff was not any good (regarding comp style), but everyone else loved it.

EXCEPT, for the chicken. I thought that was our best product. Everyone thought is was "good", but you could tell they thought the brisket, pork and ribs were great.

Most people that have not been to comps, or judged, are not sure about the chicken. In my experience, they want breasts, legs, wings and thighs, grilled with a lot of sauce on at the end.

So, I don't even care what others think think about the product when we are practicing.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Any chance a mod might want to scratch this thread and merge it with the other one?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I have a lot of FRIENDS whom I have never had over. Not everyone's living situation allows for entertaining.
You misunderstand me and I apologize. I meant to suggest that there are diferent levels of friendship and I would not explain the difference to acquaintances. However, it would not be necessary to explain it to those closest to me.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Q-Dat

Friends are just that, friends.

They will give you feedback at your prompting, but are more likely to lie to spare your feelings than give you good feedback.

Ask strangers and pretend it's your buddies Q.

Dave

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the replies. Its really not a matter of feedback for me, I just hate thinking that someones first taste of what I cook is something that I hate, whether they think its great or not.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not understanding why you hate your competition Q. While I understand the whole one bite BBQ thing with judging, I am still proud of what I turn in. If I didn't like it, it wouldn't go in the box.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

On a scale of "hey this isn't too bad" to "I'd rather eat rotting cat food" how much do you actually hate competition bbq taste wise? Not a loaded question, just want to see how much you actually dislike the bland flavors. Please use any scale you choose. It isn't my 1st choice in bbq flavor either, but the words hate and crap are pretty strong so just wondering. You have me intrigued.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Our competition food is different that what we cook at home, but that's based on personal taste. We give our comp leftovers to friends and family and everyone loves it. We don't eat much of it since we're usually burnt out on BBQ after the first comp of the season

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Any chance a mod might want to scratch this thread and merge it with the other one?
Done, but I just happen to be reading the other thread and saw that you had created a duplicate. When you need a mod please use the report post button. That way we will all be notified and whoever is online can take care of it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote