• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oklahoma Joe Fuel Consumption

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Cooked on my new Highland this weekend; seasoned it the weekend before. Was a 11 lb. CAB packer brisket. & 8 lb. pork shoulder. Probably a bit ambitious for my first offset cook. Was a hot cook 275 - 325 for bout 9 hours. Around 7.5 hours in, I had ran through my 25 pound Kingsford Hickory Log bag. Kind of tethered to the house, so I just used lump for the remaining time.

My question is what is the ideal efficiency for an offset. Was aiming for 1 stick about 45-55 minutes, which I was able to achieve. Did some mods (charcoal basket, gasket on firebox) I cooked with a disposable aluminum water pan to serve as my heat sink. Eyeing up the BBQ Mods drop in baffle/convection plate. I have a a habit of over-tinkering, just want to know what the ideal efficiency I am going for is.

P.S. Was able to glean a lot of good info from this link.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153342

Depends on how dry/seasoned the wood is ambient temp & humidity. If your running a heat management plate the water pan is overkill. 1 stick every 40 min is average.

I have an OK Joe Highland with a homemade convection plate. I don't use water.
You experience regarding fuel consumption seems about right to me

I buy "chunks" from a local firewood company & they are about 8 -10 inches long. I split them into wrist sized pieces & I use one about 30 -35 minutes. It's a little less expensive than the Kingsford stuff.

Cooked on my new Highland this weekend; seasoned it the weekend before. Was a 11 lb. CAB packer brisket. & 8 lb. pork shoulder. Probably a bit ambitious for my first offset cook. Was a hot cook 275 - 325 for bout 9 hours. Around 7.5 hours in, I had ran through my 25 pound Kingsford Hickory Log bag. Kind of tethered to the house, so I just used lump for the remaining time.

My question is what is the ideal efficiency for an offset. Was aiming for 1 stick about 45-55 minutes, which I was able to achieve. Did some mods (charcoal basket, gasket on firebox) I cooked with a disposable aluminum water pan to serve as my heat sink. Eyeing up the BBQ Mods drop in baffle/convection plate. I have a a habit of over-tinkering, just want to know what the ideal efficiency I am going for is.

P.S. Was able to glean a lot of good info from this link.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153342

Depends on how dry/seasoned the wood is ambient temp & humidity. If your running a heat management plate the water pan is overkill. 1 stick every 40 min is average.

Thanks for the info; appreciate it much...

I have an OK Joe Highland with a homemade convection plate. I don't use water.
You experience regarding fuel consumption seems about right to me

I buy "chunks" from a local firewood company & they are about 8 -10 inches long. I split them into wrist sized pieces & I use one about 30 -35 minutes. It's a little less expensive than the Kingsford stuff.

When I first posted the question, I was thinking I hope I was running very inefficiently, the wood consumption can get expensive. Contacted a local firewood seller just now, probably get a better deal that way.. Kinsford at HD is is like $25 for a 25# bag, and the wood is mediocre.

I cook on an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, and I agree that your consumption is about average. The tuning plate I use is this one. It bolted right up to my firebox and does a great job of evening out the temps side to side.

I cook on an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, and I agree that your consumption is about average. The tuning plate I use is this one. It bolted right up to my firebox and does a great job of evening out the temps side to side.

Long will it bolt to the pre-existing bolts, there is no extra drilling involved?

I had to drill two 3/8 inch holes to bolt it up

So you only get like 10 splits in a bag?

I'm making this version this week for Ok Joe highand.
http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/accessories-1/18-convection-plate

I tried that. Didn't work for me. Cut the 90* bend off & threw it away.

What i ended up doing:

PICT1243_zpsi9fargdz.jpg

PICT1218_zpsvrmsn7md.jpg

Have to say... all those holes in 3/16" steel got real old. However... the combination of the convection & tuning plates work great.

I tried that. Didn't work for me. Cut the 90* bend off & threw it away.

What i ended up doing:

PICT1243_zpsi9fargdz.jpg

PICT1218_zpsvrmsn7md.jpg

Have to say... all those holes in 3/16" steel got real old. However... the combination of the convection & tuning plates work great.

What didn't work about it? Maybe I should reconsider making that.

For some reason I can't attach the site but go to bbq smokers mod thi baffle and tuning plate works great for my okj highland

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 131
Wood comes in BAGS? Really, Y'all fooling right?
Well bless My heart.

Later,
Doug

Last edited:
Back