Generator Options on your Trailer

PaulstheRibList

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm ordering my trailer now.

One new friend let me know he has an Onan 7000 efi mounted in the nose of his trailer, with the intake and exhaust plumbed through the floor and a permanent gas tank mounted.

That sounds great!

OK, what about the Liquid Propane options on the Onan Cummins generators? They make a 6500 watt option. LP Sounds like an advantage in not having gasoline permanently mounted on my live-fire BBQ trailer. Disadvantage in that you can't just drive over to the gas station and full it up.

The other quiet options are the big Honda or Yamaha quiet styles.

I am willing to invest some more $ to have a quiet and hassle free generator.

Any wisdom out there on powering your trailer?

You are ok with Liquid Propane on your "live-fire" trailer but not diesel or gas?

If you are worried about it get yourself an Onan diesel generator. Diesel takes a LOT of heat to light, it isn't likely that you will blow yourself up. Diesel ignites under compression not spark inside of the engine, so that would actually be the "safest" option.

Well, I would rather there be no bottles, but the LP generator seems a very convenient option, and not smelly like diesel spills, and I can run a gas steam pan inside for serving.

Otherwise, your are very wise in recommending diesel over gasoline.

I have an Onan LP 6500 watt generator. I use propane for my ovens and fryers anyways. Very happy with the unit. Quiet and plenty of juice. Easy to service. And propane is $.90 per gallon.

I have an Onan LP 6500 watt generator. I use propane for my ovens and fryers anyways. Very happy with the unit. Quiet and plenty of juice. Easy to service. And propane is $.90 per gallon.

That is great news! How long with a 100 pound bottle run your AC unit, fridge, etc?

Back