Portioned Pulled Pork

Caseyjoenz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been asked to provide a local tavern with Pulled Pork. The way their license works he needs the pork to be portioned into single serve portions, in this case 6oz portions in ziplocs. He plans on microwaving heating the portions to order. I am thinking it would be better to microwave still in the bag? Thoughts?

I would portion control by weighing and then vacuum sealing into individual bags. This would also give you the option of freezing. Also, might look a little more sanitary if the health inspector starts nosing around. Simply drop the cold bags into hot water or snip and place into microwave. You could also cut a few portions and place into a small crockpot with thinned down sauce. Make the tavern provide you with a chamber sealer and supplies. They can write it off as a business expense. Good luck.

You definately want to deliver the product sealed as Yakdung also said! That will protect you (and the quality of your product) if there are any health issues! Are they serving "Their" Pulled Pork our "Yours"? Your reputation counts!!

Sounds like you have everything under control, however I assume you are packing in an inspected/approved commercial kitchen? Keep in mind that different regulations vary from state to state, and a different set of regulations and a different class of insurance apply to packaging for sale rather than just serving.

You will want to make sure your bases are covered, to protect yourself and your assets... Check with your local Health Department and your insurance carrier.

You'll run into problems with the health depart and vacuum sealing. That is called "reduced oxygen packaging (ROP)" contact your local HD and ask them about it.

Back