MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
nukenight
On the road to being a farker

So you are telling me that spending $50-80 for a one-time class makes a person a "real" BBQ judge? I think not. BBQ is for everyone! I've been a KCBS certified judge for 97 contests. Likewise, I've also been an IBCA "head judge" (similar to a KCBS contest Rep) 79 times while managing to cook 23 times. Basically, in all those experiences, the differences between IBCA and KCBS are basically style. Both do a good job with consistent results. They just do it in different ways. I could write you a tome on the specific style differences, but this is not the time nor the place for that. Both IBCA and KCBS styles grew up out of the regions in which they started. Good BBQ wins contests, regardless of sanctioning. Now you could argue that KCBS values appearance more than IBCA, but this might have more to do with the way the product is judged, than anything else. Try an IBCA contest some time. I think you will like it. I will end this comment with the words I usually tell cooks who are used to KCBS contests that decide to try an IBCA contest, "If it was me, I'd make the product slightly more tender and well done than in a KCBS event, since the judges taste it with a knife and fork". I also add that "good BBQ is good BBQ and the cream will rise to the top".
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Good Q is Good Q, whether your being judged by a CBJ or Joe Schmo. A CBJ knows what 'KCBS' is looking for, Joe Schmo knows what 'he' likes, along with some help with what he's looking for from the head judge at an IBCA or TGCBCA comp. I am still an opponent of the 1 score for each entry, the belief that Joe Schmo can't determine if the food looks good enough to eat (appearance), tastes good enough to eat (taste) and is tender enough by either personal preference or by the organizations standards (tenderness) to give each entry a score for each category is bull. No more 'final tables', just tabulate the scores, give me a scoresheet and hopefully some money and I'll be on my way. Other than that, I have no problem with the judging in Texas (or IBCA, TGCBCA, etc.) comps.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Great feedback everyone!

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Wow, cook teams spend money to compete and be judged by people off the streets with that page of critera as training?
Dang.....
Ed
Based on what I've seen they tend to get it right about as often as certified judges.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks X 10
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

The best thing about this type of judge is that it levels the playing field. I think it is idea for beginners and those who don't want to fuss with their entry after they cook it.

In KCBS it is hard to win much without knowing exactly what to put in the box and how to put it in. Case in point, I am thinking about turning in my chicken the way Moe does. How many judges and others know exactly what I am talking about?
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelmaker View Post
wow, cook teams spend money to compete and be judged by the parsley they put in their box of cupcake chicken?
Dang.....
Luke Duke

fify
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Makes me laugh when people slam TX BBQ rules. We seem to do just as well at the KCBS comps down here with certified judges. As long as judges stay consistant with their judging and judge each entry on the same criteria, the cream rises to the top.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
100's of teams, if not more, every weekend. Many times with no power or water provided.

The alternative is to A. not compete, B. drive many hours in any cardinal direction to get to a KCBS event.

Which is why the whole, "I had to cart water at a Sam's event" stuff cracks me up.

But good Que is good Que and those that produce it do quite well. The 3 main organizations in my area, IBCA, Texas Gulf Coast and Lonstar BBQ do a good job and I'm just appreciative that someone is putting on events.

Well said Ranger, bottom line is that the good bbq wins and wins consistently regardless of who the judges are or what association your cooking in. There are plenty of online threads about the baloney that goes on in kcbs too, no system is perfect but they are all good and always trying to improve and make things better for the cooks. I for one am grateful that someone gives us an opportunity to go have fun doing what I like to do with people who enjoy it as much as I do. I do love being an IBCA HJ too but always prefer to cook and have fun than judge.

Y'all have fun.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote