MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
kansabbq
Found some matches.

Default Pulled pork for 100 people

Hello, everybody! My daughters is school graduation party is next weekend. She asked if I could smoke half the pulled pork. About 200 invited. It was the excuse I needed to buy a 22 WSM. I've been using an 18.5 for about 10 years. Mostly do chicken or ribs. I have only done 2 pork butts. So I'm not an expert on them. I plan on smoking 3 on top and 3 on bottom. You guys have any tips to help a brother out. I want these to turn out great.
PS, I love lurking around here. Great bunch of folks!
kansabbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
hogs122
Full Fledged Farker

No great advice other than what you probably already know. Coat with rub of choice, load smoker with charcoal of choice, and place wood chunks of choice on the coals.

Smoke at your desired temperature until the bone of the butt wiggles like a loose tooth. Happy smoking!

Custom Insulated Reverse Flow Cabinet
Kamado Joe Big Joe
UDS
hogs122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your not going to feed 100 folks with 6 butts unless your initials are JC. You're gonna need 200 lbs raw weight. Use a simple rub Cook 'em until the bone wiggles like a loose baby tooth let 'em rest for and hour and pull 'em mix in a little pig juice

BLU's All purpose BBQ rub

2 TB Lawry's seasoned salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dry mustard
2 TSP chili powder
1 TSP chipotle Powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 TSP celery salt
3 Tb sugar

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

4 cups apple juice

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoon dry mustard

4 tablespoon brown sugar

3 bay leaf

6 cloves of garlic

2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. But it's never around that long.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
landarc

You're feeding 100 people, I see that as 100 portions at 1/3 pound finished product. Start with assuming 50% loss, you are looking at 2/3 pound x 100 portions, 67 pounds raw butts will be where you need to start. Assuming you get 8 pound butts, you need to cook 8-9 of them. Still, not a problem if you have both the 22" and the 18" WSM ready to go.

I cook bone-in butts mostly, I feel they cook up nicely, but, if I can't get them bone-in, no worries, it's still easily workable. The trick is to make sure you allow enough time, butt can be stubborn, it takes some time. I tend to go simple with butts, just a simple rub (often Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy, or similar) and cook until I can easily tear the butt apart.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

If you need to feed 100, figure half pound per person.

I whole heartedly disageee with Blu. At 200lbs of raw meat, and a 50% yield after the cook, you will be stuck with a whopping 100lbs of pulled pork. Thats a whole 1 pound serving per person. Most people will grab 1/4 of a pound especially if sides and dessert is being served. I've done several large party cooks using the 1/2lb per person method and it hasn't failed me yet.

Final piece of advice..start cooking earlier than you think you need to. Its easier to keep cooked butts hot than to rush one that isn't ready yet.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Bludawg is right, you are not going to feed 200 people with 6 pork butts. That's only 60 pounds of pork butt raw at the max. You will lose 1/3 to 1/2 of your raw weight during the cooking process as the fat renders out and the muscle fibers give up moisture. Figure on 1/2 to 1/3 pound of pulled pork per person (Do sandwiches and you can get by with 1/3 per person, my recommendation, cheaper and people will tend to take only what fits on a bun). That means 132lbs pork butt for 200 people, just over double of what you have now in raw weight. Get a head count. If you have 200 invites I assume not all will show. Best of luck.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Brethren!!! Kansabbq said 200 people to feed, not 100.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Title of OP clearly says, PULLED PORK FOR 100 and in the OP he said he is only smoking pulled pork for half the party.

So half of the invited 200 is 100. So he is smoking butts for 100. Maybe he is cooking another food item for the other 100 expected guests....

Old 04-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
1buckie
Babbling Farker

"She asked if I could smoke half the pulled pork. About 200 invited."

folks might be getting confused by the numbers.....200 attending, you're cooking half of the amount needed for total service, so 100 portions?

Figures I'll leave to others, but if you haven't done a bunch of them, remember that putting a BIG load into the cooker all at once will take some extra catch-up time from the cold mass.....
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
Brethren!!! Kansabbq said 200 people to feed, not 100.
No he didn't. He said 200 were invited but he is only cooking half of the pork. The there title even says 100.

I agree with Landarc's numbers.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
drumdawg67
Take a breath!

He is only cooking 1/2 the pp. So 100.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

100 lbs. raw meat, so how ever you get there. 10 10# butts etc.. Landarc laid out a pretty good path.

Good luck brother. happy smokin. Oh,.. and give yourself more time than you think you need, even with your rest time added in.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Aw.. Cool, my bad. Don't use my numbers! Or if you do divide in half. Need to read the post better. Thought he just had the title of the thread wrong.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
landarc

On the timing thing, I would pre-cook, and be done with it the day before. Pack it all in nice disposable pans, tightly foil covered and just reheat the day of. However, there are loads of ways to do that. I prefer to pre-cook as it takes a lot of stress out of the equation.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
landarc

Heh, if he did over-cook and ended up with some extra pulled pork, no tragedy. Always good to go long, not short.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]