MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

Question HELP - temp at grill diff than temp at dome?

Hello - I'm the proud new owner of a Kamado Joe (Big Red) my first smoker! My first pork butt is on and I'm characteristically confused and nervous.

The built in dome thermometer reads about 220 and is confirmed by an instant read thermometer poked down through the daisy holes. A Thermoworks air temp probe mounted on the grill registers 260 which is counter-intuitive. I expected the dome to read higher. Anything I've read has always talked about dome temps - is that what I should go by?

I'll be bummed if my first butt is tough!
dmaxdmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

New readings are 225 dome - 295 grill

Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

have checked accuracy of the Thermoworks probe?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
AZRaptor
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeff

When cooking on my Weber Smokey Mountain I've always gone by temp at the grill grate, but whether you are cooking your butt at 230 or 260 won't make much (if any) of a difference in the final product as long as you pull it when it reaches the right internal temp. Some folks cook their butts real low at 225-230 and some cook them a lot hotter, but everyone pulls them around the same internal temp.
"[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3394956&postcount=48"]Eleanor[/URL]" my [URL="http://www.ShirleyFabrication.com"]Shirley Fabrication[/URL] 24x50 RF Straight Back Cabinet Smoker
[URL="http://www.blazngrillworks.com/"]Blaz’n Grill Works[/URL] [URL="http://www.blazngrillworks.com/the-grid-iron/"]Grid Iron[/URL] Pellet smoker
AZRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

Using optional air temperature probe. Food probe is in the pork.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Wampus

Not really familiar with the KJ, but if it has a diffuser (like the BGE's platesetter) it may be because of it's radiant heat.

Whatever it is, just dial in the temp based on the grate temp. Either way, it won't make your butt tough or ruin it. It'll just get done faster at a higher temp. I cooked 4 butts this weekend at 300 degrees for the whole cook and they turned out great.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
smoke ninja

Best to measure at the grate

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

I'm also getting more white/gray smoke than I anticipated. It's been going for more than an hour. I'm using Kamado Joe lump charcoal which I started with a single starter cube.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

It does seem counter-intuitive that the grate temp is higher than that at the dome as we all know that hot air rises. In the small confines of a cooking chamber where the hot, burning fuel is at the bottom and exhaust at the top, it is perfectly normal to be bending the accepted laws of thermodynamics by having the temps reversed. That is how things are in my WSM and after accepting that and using the grate temp as the reference, all is good. Who really cares what the temp is at the top of the cooker anyway? Is there any meat there? Placing the thermo at the top is simply for convenience of the manufacturer and not for any accurate function.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I see you are using a Kamado, what type of set up? heat deflector? no deflector?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

Using heat deflector with a water-filled pie plate above. It's the standard size model.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #12
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

As a retail BBQ store owner I get the same question all the time. I tell my customers that is normal and to just decide what temp you want to go with when cooking. You have to first cook with your Kamado Joe and get a feel for how it cooks. If you know there is a 40 degree or so difference in grate temp and dome temp know what those temps should be when you cook or just stick with one and ignore teh other. I have a Primo XL and when I cook I will use the grate temp on my Maverick ET-733.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
dmaxdmax
Found some matches.

The temps are converging. Grill is now 270 and dome is 255. I'm going to wait until nothing changes for 15 minutes and then consider nudging the vent closed a scant millimeter. 260/240 seems like a good target don't you think?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

What smoking wood are you using?

Use the grate temp. 295 seems a tad hot so you might want to choke the bottom vents down a little.

My WSM lid thermometer routinely reads ~20-30° lower than at the grate

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I have an XL BGE which is the same style of cooker.

I am assuming you have the diffuser plate setter in there. If you have placed the grate probe over the gaps at the edge where the plate isn't, you will get a higher reading because that is where the hot air is travelling up to the dome.

The longer the ceramic cooker sits there, the closer those numbers should come together because the ceramic will even out in temperature. Unless you are opening it up and peeking a lot. If everything is stable and no adjustments have been made for two hours and the temperatures aren't pretty close, I would venture to say one thermometer is off.