MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Default rib problem

I'm having a minor rib cook problem & trying to get some ideas to try on it. I've got an OC Pecos & try to keep temps around 275ish (maybe a bit under at times especially when ribs first start) as I'm doing chicken at the same time as ribs for contests (at least for a time both are on the smoker). Problem is my ribs get burned on the bone side yet I've had the ribs cooking on the far side of the smoker away from the firebox & it's little heat deflector. Would a pan of water right at the deflector do anything as far as the burning on the bone side of the ribs? Other ideas??? Not using a high sugar rub & it's before saucing

Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
1buckie
Babbling Farker

This is just backyard goofiness, but I set then on foil for the late part of the cook....not sealed or covered at all, just on top so he bottom doesn't get torched....it's help a lot......might work in your situation?

1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #3
saseekutz
Full Fledged Farker

I put a sheet of steel on top of the baffle extending it to the bottom of the cooking chamber. It protects from the hot blast underneath and pushes the heat towards the sides then up. 275 cooker here too. In my opinion I'd go with no waterpan. Tried it and didnt like how much wood I used or trouble of making sure to keep the pan filled.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Buckie - that was also on my list but wasn't sure it'd do anything. I'm debating the Trigg/Texas crutch wrap vs not wrapping at all

Sas - so you're doing more a tuning plate kinda thing extending the plate already there much farther into the chamber? I've been lining the chamber w/ tin foil but more just to aid in cleanup than anything else

Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd get a few cans of biscuits and spread them out uniformly over your entire cooking surface. Fire up your smoker and bring it to 275. Then just watch and see where your hotspots are. Once identified, that's where I'd cook the chicken, moving the ribs to the spots that aren't as hot.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
I'd get a few cans of biscuits and spread them out uniformly over your entire cooking surface. Fire up your smoker and bring it to 275. Then just watch and see where your hotspots are. Once identified, that's where I'd cook the chicken, moving the ribs to the spots that aren't as hot.
I'd already done that part & the cool side is the far side away from the firebox but not by too much about 25 +/-

Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
saseekutz
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah it just extends a good portion on the baffle to the bottom. That along with wrapping keeps the purdy color on my ribs