MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Default Some weekend eats

Decided to stay in friday night because we were going to fix our retaining wall that partially collapsed last summer from a nearby tornado the next day. So we bought a big ol tomahawk to grill.

It was about 2.25" thick.

Threw it on reverse sear 250 degrees with some other goodies.

Then threw it all on direct to get a sear going.

seared

My plate with some. Cooked a little more than I like but still good. Found out near the end of my cook my first digital thermometer was 10 degrees off. Gotta love the bone.

Ate and hot some cocktails by the fire with the wifey. You can see some of the planters I removed from the garden area where the wall needed to be redone.
Beautiful night!

Sunday I tried a prime brisket the hot and fast method for the first time. Did Bluedawg's method. Rubbed with black ops.

on she goes

midway through

Pullled at 205 when it felt the best.

sliced and plated

The point was awesome but the flat was not as tender and delicious as I've done in the past low and slow. The flat never probed like warm butter at 200,203,or 205 while the point did at 200. I had the probe in the flat part. Any secrets to the getting a delicious flat hot and fast way? I'm sure it'll be fine on some sammies tho.

Also I went through about 4lbs of charcoal in 7hours of @300 degrees. Does that seem about right with the kamados?

Thanks for lookin!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
frog13
On the road to being a farker

That's some good looking eats right there. I love those tomahawks! I've never cooked one, in fact around here I've only seen them once in the store. Next time I'm going to get one! Nice job!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

Good lookin grub. You should have waited a little longer on that brisket. The flat needs to probe tender, sometimes they just take longer to give up. Good luck on the wall build. Good job bub !

Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
DetTigersFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmokey View Post
Good lookin grub. You should have waited a little longer on that brisket. The flat needs to probe tender, sometimes they just take longer to give up. Good luck on the wall build. Good job bub !
Agreed... Generally when going "hot and fast" your finishing temp will be higher than it would be when cooking around 250. Probably just jumped the gun on pulling it. The point is also so fatty it'll probe tender much sooner than the flat. The point can keep cooking after feeling tender for quite a while without worrying about it getting dried out.
DetTigersFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigersFan View Post
Agreed... Generally when going "hot and fast" your finishing temp will be higher than it would be when cooking around 250. Probably just jumped the gun on pulling it. The point is also so fatty it'll probe tender much sooner than the flat. The point can keep cooking after feeling tender for quite a while without worrying about it getting dried out.
What's the highest temp you've had with hot and fast in the flat? The flat isn't chewy just drier than I've done in the past so that's why I think it overcooked it?

Old 04-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
The flat isn't chewy just drier than I've done in the past so that's why I think it overcooked it?
Believe it or not, it may have been undercooked - it can go to 210 -
did the slices crumble? No, I see in your pic they didn't.
It all looks so tasty! (yes including the Brussel sprouts!)
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, I agree with these guys.. you pulled it early. Don't let that temp get ya. Just wait for that thickest part of the flat to get tender. On Hot and fast that temp will be 210 or higher. I've seen them anywhere from 212-218. No biggie though, still looks awesome! Love the tomahawk especially

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
Yep, I agree with these guys.. you pulled it early. Don't let that temp get ya. Just wait for that thickest part of the flat to get tender. On Hot and fast that temp will be 210 or higher. I've seen them anywhere from 212-218. No biggie though, still looks awesome! Love the tomahawk especially
Doh! Everything I was seeing with hot and fast said 205 or less. And for some reason I thought I've read that the flat will get done before the point and the point was definately done so I thought the flat was nuked. Guess I should have asked here. Had some of the flat on a sammy last night and it's definitely good so all is well. Thanks for the advice guys.

Here's the before/after of the wall. The wall collapsed the night before we left for Italy and which was also my birthday. Nice present nature gave me eh?

Top wall up with all the planters removed.

Still need to get a yard or 2 of dirt to fill and then till the soil to plant some garden items.