MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

Default some firsts today. salt and pepper ribs, smoked fried wings, and i made a new sauce

seeing as how i live in upstate ny, this has only been my 3rd cook of the year, and there were still a few snowflakes. i was worried about it being windy because my last cook kinda got ruined by the wind, but i didn't seem to have an issue with it today. here's what i made:

Ribs: i bought a rack of st louis cut ribs this morning and when i got home i seasoned half the rack with dinosaur BBQ cajun rub and the other half with kosher salt and black pepper. the seasoning only set for about an hour or so while i lit up my WSM and got it to temp.

wings: before i left to go get breakfast and hit up the store for ribs i prepped some wings that i bought at the store the other day. about half of them i put into a mixture of dinosaur bbq rub, vegetable oil, and texas pete's hot sauce, and the other half i put them in a wash with buttermilk, an egg, and some hot sauce. when i got home i took the buttermilk wings out and breaded them in a mix of flour, cornmeal, and dino rub. i let those set for an hour while the smoker came to temp.

sauce: i came up with an idea for a sauce the other day with ketchup as a base, and then i'd add applesauce and apple jelly. i started with those ingredients and then added some white vinegar, dark brown sugar, mustard, black pepper, and chilli powder. more basic than i usually do, but it came out pretty good and i want to fine tune it when i get the chance.

here's some pics:

this is my smoker about an hour into the cook. ribs on bottom, wing on top, breaded wings around the edges of the grate.

here's the wings when they were done. i left them on for about 2 and a half to 3 hours. i finished the rubbed wings on my propane grill to crisp the skin and set the sauce on. for the sauce i used an even mix of my new apple bbq sauce and texas pete hot sauce. it came out pretty good.

here's the ribs. the stay on for almost 5 hours

final thoughts:

the bbq wings with spicy sauce came out pretty good. technically yes they were overdone (fall apart tender), but that's how i like my wings. as for the breaded wings, i'd like to try doing them again but with a different technique. the breading came out too dry and it was kind of hard to eat, i think next time i'll leave the cornmeal out and maybe brush them with oil a few times as they cook, and i'll use a different rub. i only used to dinosaur bbq rub because i was out of my own and didn't have time to make it. i tried dipping a few of the breaded ones in bbq sauce and that made the texture even worse

as for the ribs, i finished about half a rack of the dino rubbed ones on the propane grill with the apple bbq sauce and then i took about 4 of the salt and pepper ones and did the same thing. the dino rubbed ones with the sauce were good, but i didn't put a ton of sauce on the ribs and i've noticed that with tomato based sauces that they tend to lose a lot of character when they come out on the finished product. as for the sauced salt and pepper ribs, i could tell it was different than the bbq rubbed ones, and i'd be down to try doing them again but just not put as much salt and pepper on, the pepper was really overpowering. as for the unsauced ribs, the dino rubbed ones were pretty good, but i didn't really care for the salt and pepper ones. i gotta admit that the salt and pepper thing was something i wanted to do after reading franklin's new book. overall i'd say it was a successful cook. the smoke flavor was there but not overpowering and i learned a few things and got a good new sauce out of it. the handle did fall off of my WSM door, so i guess i'll need a new door soon, but after 4 years of use i'm not too surprised or upset about it.
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

Truth be told, I'm with you on the wings being fall apart tender. As for the ribs, I like to do them as simple as possible too, with sauce on the side. I always do mine with just salt and pepper, but I go quite a bit lighter on the seasoning than Franklin. I also only do St. Louis ribs because I think they have more pork flavor, which is why I think you can get away with less seasoning. Looks great thought!

Hitman
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Looks pretty good from here,I would tuck in

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Jason TQ

I want those wings!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

All looks killer, def them wings
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

All those wings look so dang good.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Bludawg

It all looks good to me. If it has to much pepper for a NY yankee it should be just about right for a Texan Send 'em to me

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I would hit all of that
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #9
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking results from where I sit.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Looks pretty good to me.....nice rundown all all you did & how it came out....testing, testing, testing......
I do half & half fixups a lot.....good way to compare all on the same cook & see what comes out good......
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

thanks for the compliments! a couple things i forgot to mention... i used a combo of hickory and applewood, i think i went heavier on the apple so that's why the smoke ring isn't too prominent, but there's definitely a pink haze in the meat which is what usually happens when i use apple. the smoke flavor was definitely there though! as for the texture on the ribs, they were definitely not undercooked, but they didn't come clean off the bone, which is what they usually do. i usually score the membrane but next time i think i might just try taking it off because this time it was more noticeable while i was eating.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
It all looks good to me. If it has to much pepper for a NY yankee it should be just about right for a Texan Send 'em to me
haha, i'm now thinking that the issue wasn't too much pepper, it's just that there wasn't anything else with it. usually when i smoke a chuck or brisket i'll put my usual rub on and then just add extra black pepper and it comes out fine!