MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Boston Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Slicing Question

When slicing brisket, I have always tried to cut as close to perpendicular as possible to the grain. Most of the times, this has me cutting diagonally across the flat, leaving me some shorter slices as well as some very long slices in the middle. I've noticed on Aaron Franklin videos that his slices seem to be more uniform in size and his cuts don't seem to be at a diagonal direction across the flat. I had just assumed that his briskets had a straighter grain across the flats than mine. But in his chapter on slicing brisket, he comments that you don't need to be exactly perpendicular to the grain- Just don't cut with the grain. Do most folks here cut exactly against the grain or do you shift slightly (or even significantly) off of perpendicular for more uniform slices?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Brew n Que

I shift mine a bit as I slice down the flat. Sometimes it's not exactly across the grain, but it's no big deal.

Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

^ that'll do.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Boston Smoker

Great diagram. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Pitbull
is one Smokin' Farker

It actually depends on how tender the brisket is. If its marginally done or right on the money, more or less cut across the grain. The more tender it is, the less you cut across the grain to keep it from falling apart, if that makes sense.

Lyfe Tyme 20
Old Country Trailer Pit W/Upright
Smokey Mountain-Webber Kettle
Kamado-Campfire-Rocket Stove

I take nothing for granted. I now only have good days and great days.
Pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Smokin69th

Name/Nickname : Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
It actually depends on how tender the brisket is. If its marginally done or right on the money, more or less cut across the grain. The more tender it is, the less you cut across the grain to keep it from falling apart, if that makes sense.

If I'm cooking the brisket for family and friends, this works great. If I'm cooking it for competition, I will trim the brisket so that when I cut it perpendicular to the grain, the slices I need will be uniform in size. Then, all I have to do is make sure I cook the beast properly.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

It kind of depends. Sometimes you get one at such an angle you don't really have much of a choice. Other times they are like the image/diagram above and you can straighten out the slices a little. I quit worrying about it. if the slices are too long they can be cut in half.

Pitbull...I know exactly what you are saying. It happens but its still better than under-done.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I put a tight "V" notch in mine when it's raw to show me the grain direction. As is cooks the V opens slightly. When I slice I go across the V which is against the grain. The grain direction in the point is off at least 45° from that of the flat.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->