Best KCBS Reps and Why

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In another thread a (former?) rep is being bashed pretty good and I am one that is adding fuel to the fire. It seems though because of what is being said about a rep here and there some people are being turned off to KCBS so i thought maybe if we had something saying who we also thought the best reps are and why it may show KCBS in a good light as well.

I have only dealt with a few reps as a judge and competitor however I have 2 that I enjoy their contests. Ron and Dena Milhous and Dave and Virginia Londeen. When my wife and myself first started competing Dave and Virginia were the reps. They spent the time making sure we understood everything, which I am sure other reps do too, but they were over checking on us probably every hour or so and just made us feel comfortable. Fast forward a few months and I was helping a buddy at a different comp. His team listed and of course he was head cook. When Dave greeted us,he was surprised I was there but knew me by name remembered my wifes name and remembered we had just started out. That was classy to me.

Ron and Dena as Reps is always great. They do a fantastic job. They are friendly with everyone even like giving a joking hard time to some. I have never been to an awards with Ron and Dena that was at its scheduled time. It is always EARLIER than scheduled. That seems to always be appreciated after a weekend of cooking.

Anyways i would like to hear about other reps people like.

My favorite reps have been Nancy and Don Muller, Gene Goycochea, Leslie and Don Lovely. Very friendly, very knowledgeable, and run a tight ship.

With Nancy and Don:
257249_447926141924516_258634212_o.jpg

Kelly & Kathleen McIntosh get my vote.

X2

K&K take their job very seriously and always take the extra step to ensure the teams are getting a fair deal. They do a very good job of balancing the level of experience at every judging table.
They are also one of the fastest to get the results uploaded to KCBS.

I would have to also say Ron and Dena Milhous. I've always enjoyed talking with them and their comps seem to run smoothly and under control.

Oddly enough, the rep mentioned in the prior thread was the instructor for my CBJ class. I've never worked with him as a rep however.

Phillip & Kathy Brazier/Ernie & Linda Poland. Bottom line with them is that you know with 100% certainty that the judging was handled properly and that you got a fair deal.

There are other reps that I will no longer do a contest that they are in charge of.

In the South, I'd have to vote for Wayne and Marie Lohman (Bill and Debra Gage are right up there as well). Just super nice people that run very fair/consistent competitions. Always willing to go the extra mile to make sure teams are informed and taken care of.

I have to go with Pappy on this one. Kathy, Ernie, and Linda are grear reps and people. Oh I guess Phillip is OK too.

I have judged a lot of contests that Dennis and Linda Polson have repped, and have always been run smoothly. Honestly this last year I have been to contests with other reps and I am not aware of problems with any of them.

Ken and Kathy Dakai are practically an institution in the northeast. Despite some recent health challenges for Ken, they seem to show up at almost every contest. Even when they aren't the contest reps, you can often spot them helping out. It's clearly a labor of love for them.

They were the reps at our first contest in 2006, where they gave us invaluable advice, they were there last weekend when we GC'd our 4th, and at most of the contests in between as well. You will also see the Mullers and the Lovelys in NY/New England - all quality reps in the northeast.

Kelly and Kathleen are just fabulous. The dedication and attention to detail is amazing...couple that with a very calm professional demeanor and you have the perfect reps. Tables balanced...what ever needed

They were among the rocks that made the King of the Smoker a hit. I know the big teams from around the country commented on how well they repped the contest

Don and Nancy are not only great reps, but fantastic people.
Bill Gage and Wayne Loham are also great.

I think that Randy & Carol Bigler, Phillip & Kathy Brazier, and Richard Preston are the best reps down in our area. They are all very professional and contests always seem to run smooth when they are the reps.

As a judge I like both John Busch as well as the Harwells. They operate their events differently but both I think do a great job -
John has always been helpful to the judges and new judges get a wealth of knowledge from him as I know I did when I first started.
The Harwells - I am sure some judges don't like the assigned tables but what they do is level as best they can each table into an average amount of events previously judged. This also eliminates the changing of chairs as there are no duplicate new judges or master judges at same tables. They divide them out at registration and assign you to what table. I for one don't mind it. I know some judges that do. To each their own.

My competition experience isn't as much as a lot of folks here as this is only my 3rd year competing with about 37ish competition to date. That being said I have only had good to great experiences at all of them.

The reps that run a lot of the Georgia events that we see and think are great are (in no particular order) Randy & Carol Bigler, Philip & Cathy Brazier, Richard Preston, Mark Haggitt, Ernie & Linda Poland, Susan & Doug Reid. They are all super friendly and run the events really well. We always like seeing any of them.

Rich and Bunny Tuttle, who seem to do a lot in the KC through St. Louis corridor, are fantastic. They've always created a great experience.

The same can be said about Phil and Rosemary Morrow. Class acts.

Back