MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Sure is Windy Out.

Getting ready to smoke two chickens and it's really windy out there. I have my offset under the front porch overhang in case it rains but this wind is going to make it a challenge. I haven't smoked on a windy day before but I'm ready to accept the challenge. This smoke is based on the brining chapter of Gary W. Low and Slow book. The chicken is brined and in the fridge drying per the instructions. I'll be using Lazzari lump mesquite and some mesquite chunks for fuel. Don't worry, I don't plan on lighting the chimney on the cooking grate.

Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I think I'm done smoking till spring. This just isn't working out. I can't get the smoker cook chamber over 150 degrees. I have a whole 7lb bag of lump and four chunks of mesquite and it doesn't matter how I set the dampers. Guess we're having oven roasted chicken for dinner. Arrrggg!

Guess this chicken is going into the pellet pooper.

Last edited by Wesman61; 12-02-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Sorry to hear that... it is not exactly a dealbreaker to your plans.

Wind is a common difficulty - if you don't have a working solution.

Next time build a portable windbreak - similar to a 3 pane fire screen for a fireplace. Use thick plywood (roughly 48 x 48 square each) using hinges between panel. Place it around your firebox - leaving 12" gap around.

You just might have a better chance in this scenario. Good luck.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks BBQ Bandit. Interestingly the wind died down but I discovered the wind was less of the problem than I thought. It's just that this is the first time I've used an offset in cooler weather. I finally pulled the charcoal basket out and threw a bunch of cherry wood on the coal bed. I just needed a way bigger fire than what worked in the summer. I'm a little slow when it comes to learning from my mistakes. Next time I'll build a raging fire and wait till it settles to a nice coal bed before I throw the meat on.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a pic. This smoke was not fun. I am a little too easily thrown out of sorts because I'm an obsessive type guy. However I did learn a lot.

Thanks from:--->