MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
ihbobry
On the road to being a farker

Default Meat inspection ??'s for a first event.

I've been lurking for a year+ and after the Hudson Valley Rib Fest and talking to many of you my friends and I are going to convert our race team to a cooking team. (Less OH and chance of dying we think )

Anyway, our first entry will be the Cape Cod Classic. Could some of you guys give us a scope of the meat inspection, how late that night or early the next morning can/will it be done. I see after 7pm but we have people coming from different places and can't guarrentee we all get there with all of our equipment/stuff much before 8pm, add set up time for that stuff and well as a first timer I'm cluess on the time requirement for this part of the event.

Thanks for the help,

Bernie
Champlain Pit Crew.
ihbobry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Grab the contest organizer whenever you're ready to have your meat inspected. Try to have one cooler with all the meat you're using in competition and nothing else but ice. It'll speed things up tremondously.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

At KCBS events the inspection usually starts about 8 a.m. on Friday and continues until the teams are all on-site (assuming a Fri/Sat event). Keep you meat iced well and in the original cryovac or store wrapping, if at all possible. The inspectors love to see you dig the stuff out of ice and if it's in cryvac and original wrapping they usually just give a cursory check.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Also, if you get certain Tequila loving inspectors from NEBS, they'll be looking that you keep your meat seperate from your vegetables/garnish.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Yes I agree with what the others said. Cryovaced meat. Plenty of ice on the top. Has always made things easy for us to get our meat approved. With the ice on the top, the cold sinks to the bottom of the cooler.
Good luck with your contest.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

original cryovac lots of ice and trim your meat after you get inspected. you should have no worries mate.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The meat inspectors will also check to see if you have a fire extinguisher, 4 tubs for washing and material for sanitising.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbobry
Anyway, our first entry will be the Cape Cod Classic. Could some of you guys give us a scope of the meat inspection, how late that night or early the next morning can/will it be done.
Hey Bernie, at NEBS events they typically allow a NEBS board member to inspect meats if the Rep. is unavailable. Talk to a couple of teams if the Rep is not around, you'll get taken care of.

-Chris
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't understand the concern about having it in the original packaging??? We always try to trim everything at home(but brisket), it is alot easier at the kitchen counter!!! imo anyways

Buzz
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
The meat inspectors will also check to see if you have a fire extinguisher, 4 tubs for washing and material for sanitising.
Is it 4 tubs Guy? I thought it was 3: wash / rinse / sanitize.