Sam's Club Regional open spots

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It seems that some people who qualified for the regional are dropping out. Also, some teams are competing in more than one local event, creating extra spots in the regional, should qualify in both local events.

How do YOU think the extra spots should be filled? Highest overall scores across all of the local events in that region? Next highest place at that local event?

Let's hear your ideas.

From the rules of the Sam's Club Championship:

9. If a team qualifies for a Regional or the National and cannot attend the event, the opening will be announced and made available to the next highest point qualifier from the Local or Regional event where the nonparticipating qualifying team came from. The team itself can NOT transfer the qualified entry to another team in any way, form or fashion. As for a Local event where a confirmed team chooses not to participate, or simply can’t participate, then the next registered team for the event will be given a chance to make payment and confirm their participation into that Local event.

http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series-rules.php

What about teams with 2 qualifiers in the same region. I didn't see that in the rules.

Only the wild card spots take into account scores from other events. It makes sense to ensure there are 7 teams from each local, going down the list until you get 7 teams. Since different judges are used this is the only fair way to do it.

For teams in more than one local, I don't see that in the rules. If it were me I would put that team in from the local where they placed the highest, and then open up a spot at the other local event. So say 1 team placed 2nd in one local and 6th in another. I would say they get to the regional based on the 2nd place and then the 6th place would get scrubbed leaving an opening at that local for the 8th place team.

I thought I read somwhere that once they qualify thats where they are any additional entries are for money only.

I thought I read somwhere that once they qualify thats where they are any additional entries are for money only.

If openings occur that allow teams to enter more than one local contest, teams will be allowed to compete in multiple regional contests. However, once a team wins at a regional, they will have only ONE (1) entry into the National Contest. Any subsequent wins at a regional contest by that team will be for prize money only.

That's what was announced in Santa Fe. Once you are in, you are in.

Here 7 & 8 overall already qualified so the team who was 9 (overall) will go from Santa Fe.

Only the wild card spots take into account scores from other events. It makes sense to ensure there are 7 teams from each local, going down the list until you get 7 teams. Since different judges are used this is the only fair way to do it.

For teams in more than one local, I don't see that in the rules. If it were me I would put that team in from the local where they placed the highest, and then open up a spot at the other local event. So say 1 team placed 2nd in one local and 6th in another. I would say they get to the regional based on the 2nd place and then the 6th place would get scrubbed leaving an opening at that local for the 8th place team.

I guess this all would depend on if a team is in more than one local contest within the same region. Giving a quick glance over the list goodbuddiesbbq has posted for the fantasy league I didn't see any teams that fell into this category. I did see at least one team that was in multiple local contests, but each local was in a different region.

That's what was announced in Santa Fe. Once you are in, you are in.

Here 7 & 8 overall already qualified so the team who was 9 (overall) will go from Santa Fe.

Soooooo totally missed that one. :doh:

Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder what happens when a teams qualifies in a regional event and none other but chooses NOT to go to the regional final for whatever reason. Will the next team down on the local event that team qualified for go to the regional final?

Since the Las Vegas regional final is only two weeks away, has KCBS set a confirmation date for the qualifiers to respond yes or no (will/will not attend) so that teams who were 8, 9, or 10th at the local event can be notified and prepare to attend the regional final?

IAB 30 qualified in Gilbert and Santa Fe.

With Steel City taking Harry's spot that puts you and Little Miss on the bubble for the Wild Cards spots. The next in line from Santa Fe is the #10 team, and they scored 628 yesterday. Nothing will be final until after Colorado next weekend. Sacramento scores are way to low for wild cards.

I won't go even if I am "invited", and it is definitely possible they would get down to me since I was 11th and I know of 3 teams ahead of me that are not going, and one of the the 8/9/10 teams is probably going to pass.

For me the decision is easy. There is another contest that same weekend that is in the next town over for me. It is shaping up to be the largest contest in California competitive BBQ history, and is a CBBQA ToY event. With the way the points system works for ToY this is a "can't miss" event. On top of that I will be doing PC sales and already have product on order to sell, and volunteers lined up to help out. This is the same contest Harry and others are choosing over Las Vegas.

So why wouldn't teams go? Skeered?

They appear to wanna compete the same weekend as Vegas in the Morgan Hill event. It has about 70 teams already signed up. Not really sure. I think there are 4 that qualified in Sacramento that are not going.

Morgan Hill is a big contest. They have room for 75 teams, and will be huge for CBBQA ToY points.

I won't go even if I am "invited", and it is definitely possible they would get down to me since I was 11th and I know of 3 teams ahead of me that are not going, and one of the the 8/9/10 teams is probably going to pass.

For me the decision is easy. There is another contest that same weekend that is in the next town over for me. It is shaping up to be the largest contest in California competitive BBQ history, and is a CBBQA ToY event. With the way the points system works for ToY this is a "can't miss" event. On top of that I will be doing PC sales and already have product on order to sell, and volunteers lined up to help out. This is the same contest Harry and others are choosing over Las Vegas.

so teams took a spot in a local contest that had a waitlist and with no intentions of going to the regional level?

What is the prize purse for the Morgan Hill event? Just wondering if it is the cash keeping them out of Vegas or loyalty to CBBQA events.

Back