Reheating Pork Shoulder Question

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I will be cooking for my company's Christmas BBQ to be served Monday. I will be serving BBQ pork, brisket, and turkey. Brisket and turkey can be cooked a lot faster than pork shoulder so I am considering the possibility of cooking the pork the day before.

I am not a believer in warmed over BBQ and am not sure about the results. Is there a way to cook the pork shoulder the day before and reheat it on the day it will be served without compromising the quality?

Should I cook it 80% the day before and then 20% on the day it's served? Should I cook it and pull it then reheat it the next day before serving? Should I just cook the butts, don't pull them, reheat them and then pull them? Should I just get my butt out of bed at 4am and start cooking all on the same day?

Thanks, brethren, for any help.

Cook through 100%, then vac-seal in smaller portions.

Reheat boil in a bag - no compromised flavor.

You could do a Hi-n-Fast Shoulder, they come out really good. I know though you should never try something new at a gathering.

If the small portions are to tough to manage, you can cook 100% and put whole in a large vac seal bag. You dont need to seal the bag, just fold it under. Next day, toss the bag and all in the oven at 300* then pull once it reaches 150* internal. Should take a few hours depending on how big the butt is.

Needs to be in a state of boiling for 5 minutes Bo, food safety wise.

OK, I have the butts sealed up. About how long does it take to reheat one when boiling it in the bag?

I cook every thing around 300 Butts & Brisket run about 45 min Lb Ribs 3.5 -4 hrs turkey will go about 40 min lb. so I fail to see the problem with getting your Butts done in time.

I cooked them today and will be serving them tomorrow. I vacuum sealed the butts, gave them an ice bath to cool them down, and put them in the fridge. Now, I need to reheat them in the morning.

Pitmaster T gave some great tips on dealing with the brisket, so I got that covered.

Back