Favorite commercial brisket and chicken rubs

Actually I just realized my favorite for chicken based on frequency of use and versatility is Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime. So I’m going with that for chicken. Great on wings for people with a heat tolerance somewhere far below Habanero Death Dust and Crucible, but also works great on chicken for stir fry or tacos.

Any chance you could compare HDD and Crucible? I don't do much with spicy, but I tend to cook for those that do.

I usually use Rudy's Rub on beef or chicken. Yesterday I did a brisket with Bovine Bold and must say it was really good. It may become my new beef go to rub.

Any chance you could compare HDD and Crucible? I don't do much with spicy, but I tend to cook for those that do.

Been a bit since I’ve had Crucible, but the biggest difference I recall was the flavor the pepper introduces to the mix. It’s a bit hotter, too. If you can stand that level of heat, I think Crucible is my favorite between the two.

I used to do to everything under the sun to my briskets from layers of rubs, injections, spritz mixes etc. I finally tried 50/50 sea salt/ coarse black pepper. Smoke with post oak and spritz with water if needed. They are the best dam briskets I've ever made.

Everywhere I turn now people recommend Black Ops. I get a new smoker in a couple months with the capacity to do a few briskets at once. I am really looking forward to a few actual head to head comparisons. I'm thinking a three way comp between tried and true S/P, vs Black Ops and SPOGOS. Can't wait to eat the results!

Last edited:
Been a bit since I’ve had Crucible, but the biggest difference I recall was the flavor the pepper introduces to the mix. It’s a bit hotter, too. If you can stand that level of heat, I think Crucible is my favorite between the two.

Been a while for me too. I prefer HDD but it’s more based on the heat level than flavor. Crucible is hot enough for me that I can’t really use enough to get the flavor. With HDD I can use enough to enjoy the flavor without burning myself out.

suckle busters 1836 for beef, the clucker is good also but they have another bird flavor I haven't found to try yet.

Brisket: another vote for BlackOps
Chicken: depends on what part of the chicken I'm making. Whole-> Plowboys Yardbird, thighs to be pulled-> Kosmos Hot Dirty Bird, wings->Oakridge Chile Lime

Crucible heat level is much higher than HDD. I like the flavor a lot but like somebody mentions, to get the most of the flavor, you need to use plenty which will be to hot for most people. I think HDD is a tad sweeter and combines very well with other rubs to add some heat.

Back