Rehabbing Craigslist Weber Genesis E310 - Advice Needed

ktbass

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Long time lurker. I've learned a lot from you guys about grilling just from reading and searching this forum.

I recently purchased a Weber Genesis off of Craigslist. I got it for $100, which I think was a fair price considering the condition it was in.

I'll post some pictures, let me know what you guys think.

I like that it is the Smoke looking color rather than the standard black edition.

Unfortunately it seems like the hood and fire box were painted on the sides and insides with some black paint. I asked the guy about it and he said the paint was starting to flake. I'd like to remove the paint and maybe try repainting it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated on how I should go about removing the old paint and what kind of new paint to apply and how to apply the new paint.

The bottom pan in the storage area of the grill appears to have been rusted pretty badly. Looks like the guy went pretty crazy with some black spray paint. I've already used some Goo-Gone to get some over spray off the doors and a few other areas. Should I just sand the bottom pan down and repaint? Or do you think ordering one from Weber would be somewhat inexpensive?

I'm a pretty handy DIY'er type guy. So not afraid of whatever you guys suggest. This grill was obviously left out in the rain uncovered for most of it life, hoping I can restore it and get some use out of it.

It's missing the flavor bars, and after reading some other rehab posts, I think I'm going to buy the new flavor bars from this guy on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/str/rcplanebuyer/
Do you guys know what model number bars fit my grill? I know they are 24.5" long

The burner tubes on the grill work, but it seems like the crossover bar that connects the tube isn't working as I have to manually light each tube with a lighter.
Any suggestions on what tubes to purchase?

The seller said the grates on the grill are new, but they don't seem to fit all the way across width-wise. So I think I'll buy new grates as well, again would welcome suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I plan on posting some progress pictures for those of you that are interested.

Hopefully you can see these pictures

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/nQKKpum"><a href="//imgur.com/a/nQKKpum"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I tried uploading 9 pictures at once here...not very experienced with uploading pictures.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cSsSVRS"><a href="//imgur.com/a/cSsSVRS"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There are extensive how to threads at the Weber bulletin board. The newer ones are not always cost effective to rehab so add your parts list up before pushing forward. I maintain a 20+year old Genesis 1000 and it’s solid with no rust.

Back