Charcoal Briquette Brand Opinions?

Ciggy5

Reaction score
Hello all, happy Friday.

As I've read through this forum, it doesn't appear to be a secret that you all prefer true wood-fired BBQ, which is great because so do I. But I would be lying if I said I didn't use charcoal more often than wood, just because of convenience and availability in my area (NYC has limited quantities of wood for cooking, and it's rather expensive).

So, I wanted to gauge the forum and see that when you're not all-wood or using your propane grill, what kind of charcoal do you prefer? I personally only use Stubb's Briquette charcoal these days, because I like the flavor and the lack of chemicals.

i use nothing but all natural briqs. used Stubbs for a long time. now i use a local to Texas brand that they only sell at HEB. i find that the KComp works really well in my little Red Box Smoker. the smaller briqs just seem to burn better in the small cooker.

i use Royal Oak and sometimes Kingsford blue bag

i steer away from Royal Oak Lump, too much trash in the bags ( metal, plastic and insulation, its like cooking over a house fire )

Another vote for Stubbs!

My 10 yr old girls knew when I tried to sneak a bag of Kingsford by them. There is a noticeable difference in taste...

I use HEB&Stubbs. Just a suggestion for wood lookout side of Hell get a price on a chord & rent a 1 ton u haul.

I would agree with you on many accounts....

Several years ago I purchased an insulated vertical smoker which uses charcoal and wood chunks. I went with a vertical at age 65 simply because I no longer find the fun in tending a fire on long overnight cooks.

I load the insulated vertical up with 8 pounds of charcoal, add the wood chunks and I'm in bed before 10:00 PM watching television. I get up in the morning, eat breakfast, shower, shave, and by the time I get out to check the smoker, it's still going strong. Usually about noon or a little after the meat probes perfectly done, and I pull the meat in the open air until the temperature drops a few degrees. I then pan and put in the cambro to hold until serving time.

No need for me to make it any harder than it is. The cooker runs rock solid and does a fantastic job without me. At my age, I can cherish and enjoy my sleep now.

I prefer lump charcoal, but I have used Briquettes many many times. I prefer Stubbs Briquettes only because they smell so good when they burn, but lets face it, when Kingsford goes on sale (like now 26 cents a pound) I buy 48 two-packs at a time.

I use Briquettes in the kettle year-round, and try to save the better charcoals to use in The Down East Beast.

I also stock up on lump when it's on sale, and I even buy coshell charcoal at $.99 cents a bag in the fall when it's on clearance. But in the end, it all works like charcoal should.

I use kingsford blue, kingsford comp, royal oak briqs, Royal oak lump, cowboy brand lump....when I see a sale I stock up. I generally have a combination of all or some of the above on hand at all times.

You're raising some sharp kids :thumb:

Thank you very much! They take after me (not really, they take after their momma, thank God :becky:)

My smoker only burns wood and lump...
But in my grill I will use Kingsford with no problems...Well that is if the coals are fully lit...I'm not a big fan of KBB in a minion situation...Royal Oak briqs are much better in that type of cooking...

My smoker only burns wood and lump...
But in my grill I will use Kingsford with no problems...Well that is if the coals are fully lit...I'm not a big fan of KBB in a minion situation...Royal Oak briqs are much better in that type of cooking...

Just out of curiosity what is it that you do not like about kbb with the minion method?

Back