The Official Stickburner Thread

I started out on a pellet grill, a GMG Daniel Boone. Since then I have owned many brands and versions of pellet grills from high dollar to cheaper models. I still own a Memphis Pro. Initially, I thought I didn't want to mess with a stick burner, and I couldn't understand why anyone would. In the past two years, I have bought a couple of Outlaws and a Jambo. For me, there is nothing close to those offsets. Plus, I only cook at 300º and higher, so the effort is not as much as you would think, and the result is much better IMHO.

47579522_10215171895723780_4685128284151742464_n.jpg

My first. She was special!
7ebe703d9c6f1a027056d98621f1fd43.jpg

pjtexas1, I really like your style. When I finally moved from a townhome to a house in October of 2017 I bought an old beat up Texas Smokemaster. I cleaned her up and now try to smoke on her as often as possible. Below is a link to my rehab. I love this smoker as it's my first real offset/stick burner.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TIbWM

I started out on a pellet grill, a GMG Daniel Boone. Since then I have owned many brands and versions of pellet grills from high dollar to cheaper models. I still own a Memphis Pro. Initially, I thought I didn't want to mess with a stick burner, and I couldn't understand why anyone would. In the past two years, I have bought a couple of Outlaws and a Jambo. For me, there is nothing close to those offsets. Plus, I only cook at 300º and higher, so the effort is not as much as you would think, and the result is much better IMHO.

so a couple outlaws and a jambo? all 3 patios? why'd you switch between them?

so a couple outlaws and a jambo? all 3 patios? why'd you switch between them?
He changes cookers like most of us change underwear...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1, I really like your style. When I finally moved from a townhome to a house in October of 2017 I bought an old beat up Texas Smokemaster. I cleaned her up and now try to smoke on her as often as possible. Below is a link to my rehab. I love this smoker as it's my first real offset/stick burner.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TIbWM
Nice work! Did yours still have the holey baffle plates? With those in place i was able to get even temps across the entire cook chamber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man i LOVE LOVE LOVE that side firebox door!!!!!!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

I think I've convinced myself to spend some decent coin on a backyard stick burner. I've set my limit at $2650, which is where the Jambo backyard comes in at. I'm pretty much set at a 24x48 cooking chamber as the minimum. I've looked at Outlaw, Gator, upcoming Moberg, LSG, Pits by JJ, True Texas, Primitive, Big Phil's, Pitmaker, Matt's, Meadow Creek and who knows what else. Some of those are priced out, but Big Phil is right at 2k.

I'm torn on whether an almost identical pit with a name on it is worth the 30% premium. I'm leaning towards a Jambo because of how easy it is to sell if I ever want to make a change.

Is there anyone I'm missing that does good work? Seems like almost anything I find under 2k from a smaller shop has half-assed paint or sloppy welds.

Check out Evie Mae’s Smokers: https://www.eviemaesbbq.com/smoker-gallery

I think I've convinced myself to spend some decent coin on a backyard stick burner. I've set my limit at $2650, which is where the Jambo backyard comes in at. I'm pretty much set at a 24x48 cooking chamber as the minimum. I've looked at Outlaw, Gator, upcoming Moberg, LSG, Pits by JJ, True Texas, Primitive, Big Phil's, Pitmaker, Matt's, Meadow Creek and who knows what else. Some of those are priced out, but Big Phil is right at 2k.

I'm torn on whether an almost identical pit with a name on it is worth the 30% premium. I'm leaning towards a Jambo because of how easy it is to sell if I ever want to make a change.

Is there anyone I'm missing that does good work? Seems like almost anything I find under 2k from a smaller shop has half-assed paint or sloppy welds.

Another local (to Texas) maker I've read about in my searches is Bell Fabrications up in Tulsa. Supposed to be good prices and quality, but not a whole lot of information available compared to some other manufacturers. I've mostly settled on saving up for one of the new LSG smokers for myself this year, but that could still change by the time I'm ready to buy.

Nice work! Did yours still have the holey baffle plates? With those in place i was able to get even temps across the entire cook chamber.

Mine doesn't have the baffle plates that run the length. It does have the 45-degree angled baffle between the firebox and the cook chamber. Once it settles in, especially once there's meat on the cooking grate, I can usually hold it to within 5 degrees across. Runs really easy now that I've got the hang of it.

Shirley Fabrication
If you don't mind waiting, it's tough to beat what you get for the money and awesome build quality.

https://www.shirleyfabrication.com/

I’ve had a Bell Fab for two years and I like it really well. It’s 24”x48” and it cooks great. Holds heat well and re-heats well. Good luck.

Not exactly low-cost, but Klose makes great cookers. I've had a BYC for years and love it. They seem to hold value pretty well from what I can tell. Not on the lower end of the price scale, but most definitely on the higher end of the quality scale. You're already looking at some very reputable fabricators, but figured I'd throw it out there.

IMO you're right about minimum size - I wouldn't go smaller than that if you don't have to. I have a 20x50. Probably 90% of the time it's fine, but I do run into times where I wish I had 24x50 when I'm really loading it up, i.e. it'd be nice to be able to go 2 butts deep on the top shelf.

Just my opinion. I'd buy something with grate level exhaust and run away from any builder who starts mentioning baffle plates. If you put in baffle plates you just killed all your convection. You now have a smokey oven. Also Im sold on larger exhaust is better.

Also with traditional flow you're going to lose a bit of real estate due to the high heat on the firebox end.

I think Jambo would be a good choice. Grate level exhaust and I think they are top flow design. I'm not sure about the backyard models on that though.

Just my opinion. I'd buy something with grate level exhaust and run away from any builder who starts mentioning baffle plates. If you put in baffle plates you just killed all your convection. You now have a smokey oven. Also Im sold on larger exhaust is better.

Also with traditional flow you're going to lose a bit of real estate due to the high heat on the firebox end.

I think Jambo would be a good choice. Grate level exhaust and I think they are top flow design. I'm not sure about the backyard models on that though.

Top flow is what I'm really looking for. I've checked out a bunch but keep coming back to that. I don't really care if it isn't the most efficient thing on earth. If i want to do it easy I'll use my egg. I want an offset that cooks evenly and draws like a blow dryer up the stack.

Gently Smoked/braised Corned Beef

Three hours of smoke in the pan and then wrapped for two. Amazing. I didn't get pictures of us serving it hot, but I deli sliced the leftover one and made Reubens on the Blackstone. Happy it's stickburning weather again

Attachments

• 20190323_150439.jpg
    20190323_150439.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 330
  • FB_IMG_1553532891286.jpg
    FB_IMG_1553532891286.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 20190323_142124.jpg
    20190323_142124.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 331
Glad to see this pop back up. Need to fire mine up soon! the last thing I smoked in it was cheese when it was below zero.

Got a couple more mods to make this spring and need to get a new coat of paint on the outside. Inside still smells great! It's been storing the Weber accessories lately.

EDIT: Looks like February 2nd was the last smoke it mine.
The Weber kettle has still been getting used 3 to 4 times a week, though!

Last edited:
Back