uds style smoker questions

G

Glassman66

I have some 24" pipe that is a 1/4" thick that I am wanting to build a uds replica out of. Will the heavy pipe work as well as the barrels? I could do the barrel, but I have the pipe and I like to build more than just bolt together things.

What do ya think guys?

Randy

I also have some 3/8" thick pipe too, but I thought that would be overkill.

I bet its more efficient then the barrels... Ide give it a go.

I'd think the thick metal would be helpful with stablizing temps and holding temperature overall in a cold weather environment.

I'm drooling over the idea of a thick drum. It'd be a bit heavy to move around compared to a typical UDS so I'd have to keep it at home and build a special cart or something for it.

That would be awesome. It would take a while to get up to temp though but I bet it would hold its temp well. I imagine that the appropriate lid would need hydralics to open it.

There goes the "tight as a drum" though, 'cause you'll need a door to sweep the ash out.

I have some 24" pipe that is a 1/4" thick that I am wanting to build a uds replica out of. Will the heavy pipe work as well as the barrels? I could do the barrel, but I have the pipe and I like to build more than just bolt together things.

What do ya think guys?

Randy

Perfect! :p What do you have in mind for a lid? :cool:

Sounds awesome! post picts pronto!

Lid, bottom, holes, wheels... How long a length of pipe do you have? How many grates are you planning on putting in her?

Lid will be 1/8 steel with hinges and counter weight just like a horizontal.

I will also build a table on to the side of it for cooking with a dutch oven.

Randy

I would love to see one. I'd really be interested in how it performs in fuel efficiency. KEEP US POSTED!!

Sounds awesome! post picts pronto!

Lid, bottom, holes, wheels... How long a length of pipe do you have? How many grates are you planning on putting in her?

I have about 20 feet of pipe so I can build it to what ever I need. I am thinking 48 inches with 2 grates.

No wheels, permanent placement in the backyard. Normal air control, not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have a 36 by 50 shop with all the good stuff make things out of steel. I have a buddy I work with and he is going to help and we will build 2 of them.

Randy

Randy, go with the 3/8", you won't be sorry
and the heat retention will be much better.
I haven't checked for lids in a while but the lid from a Webber firepit may fit. However, these are a bit difficult to find.

I have a static UDS that weighs over 900lbs. and I love it!

Yours sounds like a neat project! Keep us posted.:wink:

Weiser

What do ya think guys?

Randy

Yes, please keep us posted. I have access to some big pipe as well and would love to see what you end up with.

Weiser, how about some pics of your UDS?

Thanks

Randy, go with the 3/8", you won't be sorry
and the heat retention will be much better.
I haven't checked for lids in a while but the lid from a Webber firepit may fit. However, these are a bit difficult to find.

I have a static UDS that weighs over 900lbs. and I love it!

Yours sounds like a neat project! Keep us posted.:wink:

Weiser

I will use the 3/8 then, I have two pieces that are already cut to 48 inches. That will speed the project up.

I say its 24 inches but its really about 23 1/2 on the outside, so a weber lid may fit. Not sure I want a to that route or not but leaves me another option.

Please post op some pics, I would love to see how you did yours.

Randy

What do ya think guys?

Randy

Dont waste that nice hunk of 24" pipe on a uds!! Make yourself an offset pit.. Go for a 24"x48" with a 24" fire box.. You wont be disapointed and you will have so much more..

Dont waste that nice hunk of 24" pipe on a uds!! Make yourself an offset pit.. Go for a 24"x48" with a 24" fire box.. You wont be disapointed and you will have so much more..

Oh I have one of those bouncing around in my head as well, but I don't want to cook for a large crowd and I don't want to babysit it. I feel the uds style will work better for my needs right now.

As for wasting the pipe, I have 50 or 60 feet of different sizes and thickness. I can try lots of different styles if the uds doesn't do it for me. :mrgreen:

Randy

Back