MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Lettuce and parsley question

How much leaf lettuce and parsley do you buy for a standard 4 meat comp?

Also, how do you store it to keep it fresh?

I plan on soaking it in ice water just a little bit before building the turn in boxes and then spinning it dry in a salad spinner. Is there anything wrong with spinning it dry? Will it hurt the appearance?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I normally buy 3 to 4 heads of lettuce for a comp depending on how good they look and a couple bunches of Parsley or Cilantro depending on which looks better that day. I just store mine in the cooler. If you are going to store it in a ice bath add some lemon juice or something to add some acid to the water to prevent oxidation and that will help it stay fresh also. I don't think that spinning it will hurt it in any way and might actually make it look better. I normally buy mine the day of the competition to make sure it is fresh.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Do you keep it in the plastic bags that you put them in at the store or transfer to something else?

Is there something else that would keep it fresher?

I have heard of people keeping herbs fresher by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and then putting them in a ziplock. Would this be worth the hassle to do?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I usually buy at least 4 heads of leaf lettuce and a couple of parsley...though we don't use parsley much.

If I get my act together I clean and seperate the lettuce before I leave the house and wrap it in a set paper towel before bagging it.

Iced water bath for both parsley and lettuce help crisp it up.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

We keep it in a separate cooler to avoid damage. About an hour before the first turn in I sort through all of the lettuce to pick out the best leaves and put them in a bus pan full of ice water. About 30 minutes before turn in I pick out the best leaves out of those and dry each one and build the boxes. I put a damp paper towel on top of each box and then they go into a cooler to hold until we are ready for them.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

I buy 2 binches of green leaf lettuce and 4 bunches of parsley

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

I usely get three to four lettuce and two to three parsley. Ice bath on sat morning for a couple of hours to crisp and biuld my turn in boxes and cover with damp papper towel close lid and put in refrig.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
I have heard of people keeping herbs fresher by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and then putting them in a ziplock. Would this be worth the hassle to do?
This works very well...
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

We buy two heads of lettuce and about 12 bunches of parsley. We always have it left over and share it if need by or toss it once turn-ins are over but it's worth it to have plenty for what we need. Parsley isn't expensive.

We bring it home, rinse it off and cut off the bottom 3 inches of the stems and put in a cooler standing upright in about an inch of ice and water. We cover the tops with a wet paper towel. No need to spin them dry. Besides... they look shinier if they're moist. The lettuce is chopped so we don't do much with it. Just keep it in the cooler standing up as well.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
I think you need to define "hassle" based on the expense you go to for a contest in order to do well. If you want your entries to look their best because competing ain't cheap, there's very little I'd consider a hassle if it works! Hope that makes sense. It did when I THOUGHT it!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I Would be the wrong person to ask on this topic!! If I have to build a box myself, it will take no more than 2 min. TOPS!! I don't have the patients for Diddling. ( Another word for being Anal-- No offense Kick) I might mention that my neglected boxes have scored 2 -1st. place finishes this year!! I know that my brother will attribute his parsley placement to the wins.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
Plowboy

I buy a case of parsley for about $12-15 and try to split it with another team when I can. If wrapped in damp paper towels, I can keep a 1/2 case for a following week's contest.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

How's the case looking this week, Todd?
KCBS Member #14287

Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
How's the case looking this week, Todd?
Coming in fresh Friday morning.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #15
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I think you need to define "hassle" based on the expense you go to for a contest in order to do well. If you want your entries to look their best because competing ain't cheap, there's very little I'd consider a hassle if it works! Hope that makes sense. It did when I THOUGHT it!
It sounds like it will be worth it because I want to do the best job I know how. The reason I asked was I didn't know if that technique was just for storing them long term or if the parsley and lettuce would benefit from it since it will be used quickly and not stored for any length of time.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Quote:
I don't have the patients for Diddling. Another word for being Anal
I'm gonna keep my eye on you when I come out to pick up my smoker Jay!!
I keep hearing you talking about teabagging, diddling and being anal......been hearing some really funky stories about you too!

[/FONT]