Dyna-Glo Charcoal Offset Smoker

kaosfury

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking at one of these to give me some more smoking space. Has anyone tried it? I'd like to get some feed back before I actually spend the money. Don't have a large budget, and I'm still playing/learning.

Here is a link to it:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_375487-4663...storeNumber=0231&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4060ba60ba]&pl=1&productId=4743080&ipTrail=50.51.55.69&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

Not yet. I'm hoping the local Lowe's has one, or another model from the same brand in stock so I can get a better feel for construction. Was just hoping someone on here had seen or used one before.

Hoping to see something from Dyna-Glo this weekend, but also found a seller of used 55 gallon drums, and have almost convinced the wife to let me make an UDS. I'll let you know what I find after I get to the store this weekend. Intrigued to see an offset vertical smoker as I haven't seen one before.

0 ratings on amazon. I'd consider looking at something else.

0 ratings at Lowes also but this could be due to it being a new smoker. I need to drop by lowes this weekend and I'll see if they have one and check it out.

Sam's Club has it for $50 less than Lowes

It only weighs 71 lbs so for something that size I would say its made out of thin metal

I followed the link but couldn't find the weight. 71 lbs isn't super light but yeah, you would want at least 100 lbs on a cooker like this. And this is coming from someone who's cooker weighs 1,000 lbs !

Smoker box looks to be huge. 34in X 20 in? That's a lot of space.

I followed the link but couldn't find the weight. 71 lbs isn't super light but yeah, you would want at least 100 lbs on a cooker like this. And this is coming from someone who's cooker weighs 1,000 lbs !

Smoker box looks to be huge. 34in X 20 in? That's a lot of space.

Its in the description on the Amazon site.

Yeah. All that space is what I was looking for. It might be a good one with mods too. Hoping to see it face to face tomorrow, and yes I am looking through the UDS thread and compiling a parts list and figuring pricing to compare and share with my wife.

I already have a place for food-grade barrels about an hour south of me for $15 a piece. I figure I might be able to put together 2 UDS's for the price of one of these, but have to convince her first. ;)

I checked one out a few days ago at Lowe's. I'd pass, due to the (typically) too-thin metal.

For less money you can find a used WSM on Craigslist.

JM2C build '4' Two rack UDS's if you need that much room. you will have better smokers that actually work with out allot of hassle for the same money.

JM2C build '4' Two rack UDS's if you need that much room. you will have better smokers that actually work with out allot of hassle for the same money.

That may be true, but you would have to take into account the size of yard I have. It's pretty small. My thoughts right now have been leaning away from the smoker and towards building a uds. I can expand as I need to depending on if I am going to start cooking for much larger crowds. With a uds and my current smoker I should be able to cook enough for my current commitment.

Okay. Local Lowe's doesn't have one, but after walking through the hardware isle, I convinced the wife to let me build a uds. Will be a bit before we have all the parts, but I picked up handles and basic hardware today.

I know this is a late response...

I did get the Dyna-glo and fired it up once before the winter. Metal looks thin but it holds temp well. I will be doing some mods on it before firing it up next time: heat baffle, charcoal basket, ceramic bricks in the firebox and the smoker door gasket as it was definitely loosing smoke through the door. I will also bolt it with additional bolts between firebox and smoker chamber as those two weren't making a good seal. Probably will end up putting either a high temp silicone or a small oven rope between firebox and the smoker chamber. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents!

I know this is a late response...

I did get the Dyna-glo and fired it up once before the winter. Metal looks thin but it holds temp well. I will be doing some mods on it before firing it up next time: heat baffle, charcoal basket, ceramic bricks in the firebox and the smoker door gasket as it was definitely loosing smoke through the door. I will also bolt it with additional bolts between firebox and smoker chamber as those two weren't making a good seal. Probably will end up putting either a high temp silicone or a small oven rope between firebox and the smoker chamber. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents!

Cool. - take pics as you do your mods and post them and let's us know how they work out. :thumb:

Back